NHT and 1/2 ton towables

I have told my favorite salesman that I will be looking seriously in the fall to update my '15 SLE before the 18's are all gone.  I will be open to SLE and LT trims (and higher) as long as they have the enhanced trailer package. I think waiting will be financially advantageous.   We have a serious case of the RV and long road trip bug.  We love our new TT but know our next will definitely have a more senior friendly bed setup.  A couple of the 24 and 25 foot "1/2 ton towable" 5th wheel trailers seem to address our anticipated needs.  My current truck determined the size of our travel trailer so I want to make sure we are not this restricted when/if we buy a new trailer.  Without rekindling recent debates on towing capabilities, does anyone have first-hand experience in towing a fifth wheel with a NHT  equipped truck?

Edited by Donstar

Had a 2017 MaxTow 6.2 SLT that towed a 5 th wheel around 3k last year to Arizona   Ultra light 5 th wheel and tows it fantastic. Installed firestone airbags but didn’t need to.  Great tow package and gets 25 mpg unloaded.  Using an Anderson Ultimate hitch to help weight savings. Love it. Just got a 2018 exact same truck as I sold the old one for almost the price of the new one due to extreme rebates. 

10 hours ago, Bigmac said:

Had a 2017 MaxTow 6.2 SLT that towed a 5 th wheel around 3k last year to Arizona   Ultra light 5 th wheel and tows it fantastic. Installed firestone airbags but didn’t need to.  Great tow package and gets 25 mpg unloaded.  Using an Anderson Ultimate hitch to help weight savings. Love it. Just got a 2018 exact same truck as I sold the old one for almost the price of the new one due to extreme rebates. 

The Andersen hitch looks like a good weight saving option. Thanks for the suggestion.  The trailer i'm looking at has about a 7200 net weight with a 9995 gross weight.  How does this compare with your ultra light?

Mine is a bit heavier so no problems on your part. The main concern is hitch weight of the 5th wheel.  I’m close but it handles it so good it is amazing. Pm me if you need more info like rv type and make etc. 

17 hours ago, Bigmac said:

Mine is a bit heavier so no problems on your part. The main concern is hitch weight of the 5th wheel.  I’m close but it handles it so good it is amazing. Pm me if you need more info like rv type and make etc. 

Thanks for the confirmation. The trailer I'm considering is the Winnebago 25rks.  It has all the features we love about our current Winnebago travel trailer and takes care of the extras we wish we had!  I want a truck as close as possible to my current truck but rated to pull a heavier trailer within comfortable margins.  I don't want to own a daily driver that spends a lot more time at the pump! 

I didn't think they were that bad? I thought it was more like 18 hwy 12 city

Highest I’ve ever seen on the highway is a little shy of 16 mpg. Normally around 14.5-15 at 70-75. That’s unladen too.

2 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Why  not a 2500 HD?

I would like a 2500 HD but most days it would be my daily transportation.  The fuel cost, as cire0309 points out,  is a significant factor when averaging $1.50+ per litre in my area.  If I came across a great deal on a 2500 it would get serious consideration!

12 hours ago, Donstar said:

I would like a 2500 HD but most days it would be my daily transportation.  The fuel cost, as cire0309 points out,  is a significant factor when averaging $1.50+ per litre in my area.  If I came across a great deal on a 2500 it would get serious consideration!

Yeah I hear ya... I dunno much about the MPG on a 2500 6.0L plus you lose the autotrac transfer case which I really like... All I can tell you from pulling some 10-11k # trailers, which granted had skid steers or backhoes on POS equipment trailers form the rental place, is that at a certain point there is no substitute for sheer weight... The heavier trailers can really push your truck around.... I'd love to get a 2500 BUT, I drive so much (25-30k per year) that the fuel cost I think would be kinda foolish for the little bit that I tow...

13 hours ago, cire0309 said:

Highest I’ve ever seen on the highway is a little shy of 16 mpg. Normally around 14.5-15 at 70-75. That’s unladen too.

Interesting, I have never really seriously considered buying one so I've not gotten down to brass tacks... I know you can get much better MPG with a Dmax but, then you're paying $$$$$$ for diesel and extra for the mill to begin with..

47 minutes ago, sldhead700 said:

I think if you go with a NHT, you will have to give up your v6.....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You are correct.  I could go with a Ford and have a V6 but the GM 5.3 is my second choice to the 4.3 V6.  (The 4.3 with  3.73 gears  would be an awesome and capable tow machine!)

4 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Interesting, I have never really seriously considered buying one so I've not gotten down to brass tacks... I know you can get much better MPG with a Dmax but, then you're paying $$$$$$ for diesel and extra for the mill to begin with..

One concern I have is if the 3.73 gearing throws the 5.3's mpg's out the window.  I'm thinking that the 5.3 has some pretty impressive numbers but these are based on the 3.08 gears.  I wonder if there are members that can comment on any potential hit on fuel economy.