NHT and 1/2 ton towables

Backed out and didn't bother to test drive.  If I buy a new truck, I want it to feel new.  Sitting inside this truck was exactly like my current truck.  Came home and continued researching  LTZ's & SLT's with the NHT package.  It seems that this would mean going with the 8 spd and 3.42 gears vs 6 spd and 3.73 gears.  My salesman seems confident that there are still  such trucks available but supply is dwindling.  The prices won't go back up and may go lower.  Ideally I should delay purchasing closer to October when my current bumper to bumper expires but my choices may be too slim by then.  I enjoy truck shopping.  It make me appreciate my current "paid for" truck even more!

Backed out and didn't bother to test drive.  If I buy a new truck, I want it to feel new.  Sitting inside this truck was exactly like my current truck.  Came home and continued researching  LTZ's & SLT's with the NHT package.  It seems that this would mean going with the 8 spd and 3.42 gears vs 6 spd and 3.73 gears.  My salesman seems confident that there are still  such trucks available but supply is dwindling.  The prices won't go back up and may go lower.  Ideally I should delay purchasing closer to October when my current bumper to bumper expires but my choices may be too slim by then.  I enjoy truck shopping.  It make me appreciate my current "paid for" truck even more!

Did the LT you were looking at have the NHT package? If not, I’d definitely keep searching. For your purpose, that’s one thing I wouldn’t compromise on.

Nht don't seem to be very common around my area, I would think they will be even harder to find come October as a left over model....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, cire0309 said:

Did the LT you were looking at have the NHT package? If not, I’d definitely keep searching. For your purpose, that’s one thing I wouldn’t compromise on.

Yes, it had the NHT package.  It is a nice truck and I may regret (or change) my decision.  One of the negative first impressions was that it had 219 kms on the odometer (136 mi.).  I realize this is attributed to test drives but wonder why others didn't like the truck!  It is a pretty plain looking truck and nothing someone would take for a thrill ride.

When I ordered my LTZ NHT back in February, it was actually cheaper than an LT.  Since some of the upgrades on the NHT come standard on the LTZ (locking diff, trailering equipment, etc.) it was a $925 option vs $2K.  You also have to add the 18" wheels on the LT to get the NHT.  Also adding leather to an LT makes you order a bunch of other "packages".  A loaded LT with NHT was about $1500 MORE than my LTZ NHT.  

3 hours ago, Kubs said:

When I ordered my LTZ NHT back in February, it was actually cheaper than an LT.  Since some of the upgrades on the NHT come standard on the LTZ (locking diff, trailering equipment, etc.) it was a $925 option vs $2K.  You also have to add the 18" wheels on the LT to get the NHT.  Also adding leather to an LT makes you order a bunch of other "packages".  A loaded LT with NHT was about $1500 MORE than my LTZ NHT.  

I noticed this on the the build and price feature.  Unfortunately. I have to work with existing stock.  

Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were limiting yourself to an LT.  I would encourage you to look at LTZs as well just in case.

However, when I picked up my truck they had incentives and rebates out the wazhoo for LTs and double cabs, and very little for my LTZ crew cab. In the end you might get a better deal on an LT anyway.

Out of curiosity I googled the max tow abilities of an '18 F150.  Their payloads are considerably higher than GM 1500's.  Surely the difference can't only be attributed to Ford's use of aluminum.   I assume the ride quality is superior with the Sierras and Silverados.

Out of curiosity I googled the max tow abilities of an '18 F150.  Their payloads are considerably higher than GM 1500's.  Surely the difference can't only be attributed to Ford's use of aluminum.   I assume the ride quality is superior with the Sierras and Silverados.
I saw where Ford claims 13,200 depending on how they are configured,, but when you actually Co to the page to configure, I didn't find any nearly that high.....
Which model and Max weight did you see?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes, the information is in their 2018 RV& Trailer Towing Guide.  I didn't want to attach their link but it is easy to find.  Their payloads range up to 3,270 lbs.  The highest I've seen on a GM is 2,000 lbs but have read that there is a configuration that can carry a maximum of 2,250 lbs.

Also you really need to look very carefully at both companies config charts - they are very good at playing mix and match when it comes to payload and towing as they usually spec them on a bare bones trucks. GM is also not going to play a towing numbers game and ha - ve told the world that they are simply going for the majority marked and giving them the best towing experience they can.

If you are wanting something different in your truck - wait for the 2019 models I know they will be more $$ but they will be a whole new truck.

8 minutes ago, 2017HD said:

If you are wanting something different in your truck - wait for the 2019 models I know they will be more $$ but they will be a whole new truck.

No, I'm very happy with this generation of GM trucks and no plans to change!

Researching different brands of trucks is a real exercise in critical thinking. It doesn't take long before you realize that you are being sucked into valuing attributes that really aren't important.  How much do you want to exceed the limits of what you will ever need?