Recovery Hook Replacement Bolt

I swear I saw the answer to this somewhere but it now eludes me.  I'm looking to pull off my black hooks and paint them.  I don't really feel like paying $100 for the red ones when I can do it myself for just the cost of a new bolt.  As I understand it and from looking at them, I see where I will have to cut one bolt to remove the hooks.  I'm just wondering what to use as a replacement.  I imagine I could find some comparable galvanized bolt from the hardware store but if I could pick up a direct replacement then that would be great as well.  Anyone know a part number and price?  If not, what did you use as a replacement?

Thanks

You don’t need to cut the bolt. Follow this video and you will be fine. Then after I painted mine I turned the bolt around and reused it so I can remove that bolt whenever I want to then

You don’t need to cut the bolt. Follow this video and you will be fine. Then after I painted mine I turned the bolt around and reused it so I can remove that bolt whenever I want to then

Thanks. I have a 2018 and my understanding from other threads is this won't work with anything past 2016 or so. Am I incorrect?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, colonel00 said:

Thanks. I have a 2018 and my understanding from other threads is this won't work with anything past 2016 or so. Am I incorrect?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I can’t answer that but I don’t know how it would be different?  I thought these trucks were all in the same frame etc?  Guess because the bumper is different from my 15 to your 18 might have something to do with it. Guess you need to get under the truck and see. Otherwise it will save you frustration etc by just removing the bumper

I will confirm that my 17 is different.  I added a bull bar and planned on following that video.  All the bolts now face the front of the truck with no clearance to get st them without removing the bumper.  I ended up cutting the one bolt with a hacksaw.  Even more frustrating is realizing that chev could of flipped that bolt around and had no clearance issues.

5 minutes ago, Crazyjoker77 said:

I will confirm that my 17 is different.  I added a bull bar and planned on following that video.  All the bolts now face the front of the truck with no clearance to get st them without removing the bumper.  I ended up cutting the one bolt with a hacksaw.  Even more frustrating is realizing that chev could of flipped that bolt around and had no clearance issues.

When you cut the bolt, did you replace it with something?  What was it?

4 minutes ago, a_salazar08 said:

+1 on not cutting it!

It took a little bit of muscle, but I was able to get my stock bolt removed and reinstalled just fine. Save yourself the heartache and don't cut it

What year is your truck?

Just now, a_salazar08 said:

2015 Z71 CCSB

Right.  The method from the video doesn't work on '17-'18 because they changed some bolts as Crazyjoker77 states above.  Everything I've seen says you have to cut the bolt on a '17-'18.