Android Auto Issue

My dealership that I just bought my 2016 Sierra 1500 SLT from is claiming that I have the latest update to the HMI or Intelilink System, however, I have apple car play but no Android Auto. None the less I was not able to get android auto to work... only a data connection to the phone. The dealership claims all of my software is up-to-date and they were able to connect a android fine, and that is must be my phone...... so either they updated it and they are not admitting it, or they are not telling the truth and it still does not work..... Either way my phone connects to android auto just fine in the loaner that they provided me with.... so its not my phone or cord.... Can I get a couple people to tell me what your software version lists? Mine says Software: 23415881 and I only have the option for Apple Car play in the settings also. I have scoured the search and google and have not found a revision list but if that it available that would be awesome!!

Thanks ahead of time!!!

My dealership that I just bought my 2016 Sierra 1500 SLT from is claiming that I have the latest update to the HMI or Intelilink System, however, I have apple car play but no Android Auto. None the less I was not able to get android auto to work... only a data connection to the phone. The dealership claims all of my software is up-to-date and they were able to connect a android fine, and that is must be my phone...... so either they updated it and they are not admitting it, or they are not telling the truth and it still does not work..... Either way my phone connects to android auto just fine in the loaner that they provided me with.... so its not my phone or cord.... Can I get a couple people to tell me what your software version lists? Mine says Software: 23415881 and I only have the option for Apple Car play in the settings also. I have scoured the search and google and have not found a revision list but if that it available that would be awesome!!

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Have you tried a different android phone in your truck to verify that it’s not your phone?

You have the ‘projector’ icon on the intellilink display?

Ask them to show you that it works if they said they tested it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some late built 2016's are not capable of android auto, due to a hardware change.

In about March of 2016 the software update became available for early production 2016 pckups.

IIRC, the build dates were about may of 2016, and it was specific audio system version that could not run AA.  A credit was applied to these trucks, as the 2016's had been advertised as being AA ready (meaning when the software update was release).  There was an RPO code associated with the credit, and there was no 'factory' upgrade path available.

Not sure if that's what's going on with your truck, and if so, not sure why the dealer wouldn't just say so, instead of claiming they were able to get AA to work.

Bottom line is If the truck was built in the 'no AA' date range, it could have the latest available software (for the serial number) but not be capable of AA.

Edited by redwngr

Hmmm... I don't have the truck in my possession at this time. I did see that but chocked it up to not applicable since my truck has apple car play just doesn't have AA. I guess I will check out that rpo code tomorrow. I found others that stated they had one and not the other and a flash/update fixed it. That's what I assumed I was dealing with. 

Do you have it? 16? Software version number? 

Hmmm... I don't have the truck in my possession at this time. I did see that but chocked it up to not applicable since my truck has apple car play just doesn't have AA. I guess I will check out that rpo code tomorrow. I found others that stated they had one and not the other and a flash/update fixed it. That's what I assumed I was dealing with.   

Do you have it? 16? Software version number? 

Does CarPlay work? I think you’re correct regarding trucks built w/o CarPlay . If it has CarPlay then I don’t believe you have one of the 2016 affected trucks.

Did they ever build a version that was CarPlay only? I thought if it had CarPlay it has android auto also.

Like I said, if they tested it, Make them show you how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this will help but it helped me. Delete your truck from andriod auto app under menu/settings/connected cars. Then plug your phone into truck vai USB settings and open the app and follow onscreen instructions your phone gives you. You may have to go back to the connection connected cars screen. Worked for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This may sound silly but have you swapped your USB cord to see if maybe yours is faulty? I have a 16 sierra and note 8 and have no issues whatsoever with mine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, B R A D said:

This may sound silly but have you swapped your USB cord to see if maybe yours is faulty? I have a 16 sierra and note 8 and have no issues whatsoever with mine.

That's not as silly as it sounds. I couldn't get mine to work until I switched it. The shorter the better (less resistance on the wire) and I wouldn't use any gauge wire higher (thinner) than 21AWG. The cheaper ones are 24AWG and don't transmit as well.

Android auto requires the transmission of a lot of simultaneous power and data.

Google the Anker Powerline+ series. They are inexpensive on amazon. They are braided, so they can take being pinched in the lid of the center console. Its the one I'm using, so I know it works.

That's not as silly as it sounds. I couldn't get mine to work until I switched it. The shorter the better (less resistance on the wire) and I wouldn't use any gauge wire higher (thinner) than 21AWG. The cheaper ones are 24AWG and don't transmit as well.

Android auto requires the transmission of a lot of simultaneous power and data.

Google the Anker Powerline+ series. They are inexpensive on amazon. They are braided, so they can take being pinched in the lid of the center console. Its the one I'm using, so I know it works.
I concur, Anker braided cables are the best. I'd also advise to stay clear of the flat style cables, they don't have much protection and kink horribly. e3ebcf898be92e20d4e8b421bed4b3f3.jpgfb605f57a893c995bd4b073316447d90.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, B R A D said:

I concur, Anker braided cables are the best. I'd also advise to stay clear of the flat style cables, they don't have much protection and kink horribly.

Yeah. Those are the same ones I have. They are all I use. I bought the red ones too so I could quickly differentiate them from all my other cables. They are high bandwidth and practically indestructible, and if you do manage to destroy them, they are cheap to replace. They also support fast (~1-2amp) charging, if your phone has that.

16 hours ago, BigBadSierra said:

They did the flash to support it on my truck three time until it worked.  The procedure is complicated and if the installer botches even one step it will not work.

Going to pick up the truck soon. I got a call yesterday from a senior tech. It was indeed in need of the rare andrioid auto only update that was covered in a tab. The tech said he's only needed to do 2 since 2016, mine was number 3. Sounds like I got the right guy!!!

• Like 1