New Sierra - *On-Star Question*

Hey guys I just purchased a 18’ Sierra Denali last night and after all was said and done, the salesman was nice enough to show me how some of the options in the interior work. Although, he was being extremely persistent on setting up the ON-Star for the trail. While in the car he tried calling 3 times and for some odd reason on-star was not answering. I specifically told him “this is somthing I’ll never use sir, it’s taking pretty long and getting pretty late and on star isn’t even answering.” So he said “would you please please please call them tomorrow and set it up yourself”.

So it has me thinking what’s the big deal about activating On-Star and being so persistent about it?

5E26B93F-4CAC-4728-B60B-0426E7697F53.jpeg

Edited by PaulHuntzy
  • Like 1

They want you to use it, get used to using it and subscribe once the 3 month (or however long your trial is) is up. 

If you do call them, it takes about 10 minutes to jump through all their hoops.  Be absolutely sure to tell them that you DO NOT want any ads being served through the on-star.  If you don't, in about a month, out of nowhere the onstar system will hihack your stereo and blare an ad that at least I was not able to stop in my 2014 when I bought it.  I had my infant daughter in the truck with me at the time and it scared the crap out of her and woke her up.  Needless to say the blue button was pressed immediately and I told them to shut the damn thing off completely.

Congratulations on the new ride...good looking truck. The Onstar trial is no big deal, and I believe you need to do it so you can use the app which is pretty awesome as far as being able to start your truck from pretty much anywhere, lock and unlock your doors from anywhere, and locate it if you forgot where you parked it. You do not need to give them a credit card to "keep on file." It will also send you emails once a month about service life, recalls, tire pressure, etc..

They set mine up on my 015 for the 3 month free trial. I even did the phone thing (can use OnStar as a phone with its own #) Used the minutes on the phone have never used it for anything eles. The only thing you might want it for is if you have to use OnStar for the phone app (remote start/unlock/lock/ect from your phone) it used to be 5 years free app but I believe this has changed and you didn’t have to renew your OnStar to keep using it. They also send some kind of monthly status report to you I’m not sure what all it includes because apparently they didn’t enter my email right so I’ve never gotten one but I think it might include recalls which would be handy instead of waiting on the slow mail. I’d take it cause it’s included and if you don’t they’ll probably bother you about it anyway. Among the many things I don’t care for in my truck every once in awhile when I start the truck the OnStar lady says “this vehicle is connected to OnStar limited services”. Also don’t forget to put the OnStar number in your phone incase you do lock yourself out, truck disappears, ect. if you get it. He and or the stealership probably get a kick back of some sort for setting it up is why he was so persistent. Also not sure if you need your OnStar set up to use the included WiFi? I read on here somewhere that you can set it up though your cell provider after the free trial as another line? 

Congrats on the new truck BTW.

Congratulations on the new truck. It looks great. 

The salesman was pretty persistant in getting me set up for the trial as well. Probably part of their delivery checklist. I made sure not to give them a credit card for renewal though. At least that way it won’t get renewed automatically if I forget to cancel. 

It does have some some good features as mentioned above. Just not worth the money in my opinion. At least there are some free features once the trial expires. 

Thanks for the input and comments reguarding my truck guys!

the reason I ask is as if it seemed like on-star was a “big brother” and they use that to track your logging info, location, mileage ECT. I simply just wouldn’t feel comfortable with that!

Edited by PaulHuntzy

45 minutes ago, PaulHuntzy said:

Thanks for the input and comments reguarding my truck guys!

the reason I ask is as if it seemed like on-star was a “big brother” and they use that to track your logging info, location, mileage ECT. I simply just wouldn’t feel comfortable with that!

You don't need to be a paying subscriber for that to happen.