2008 GMC Sierra Denali chip

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with txab.  a custom tune is usually just a little more money but way more effective than canned tunes unless you are running a diesel.  especially once you start adding different mods like headers, intake, cam, or any other power adders.  it also tunes your transmission to your liking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 7:12 AM, txab said:

No chip. Get a custom tune from one of the many tuners out there. Blackbear for one. Or get a handheld tuner of your own and install a canned tune from the handheld's manufacturer. There are no magic chips.

but when it's better to buy a chip/programmer(tuner)?  I'd like to improve engine horsepower and fuel economy.

My 14 Z71 5.3 has a Diablo Predator and my 04 2WD 5.3 has the Bully Dog GT. Both are good programmers, but don't expect the world from em. Both got a little bit more pep in their step, but it's not a huge boost compared to what a company like blackbear can offer. The main reason I went that route on my 14 was to disable the AFM. Other than that I probably wouldn't have even bought another programmer....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk