Need rear end help, please.

I have a 1990 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with a 350 TBI and an open 8.5" rear with 3.42 ratio. My spider gears have been going out for awhile and I have decided to rebuild the rear end very very soon. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate some help with.

I am thinking about switching to a Detroit Trutrac LSD instead of the open diff that I have. Rebuilding my open diff would cost me about $500 and the LSD kit is around $700 so costs aren't that far apart.

My questions are, is LSD worth it? I live in northern Michigan so roads do get slick but I already have 4wd. Will it affect the 4wd operation?

I have a link to the LSD kit. Does it have everything I will need to rebuild it?

http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/gear-posi-packages/general-motors/gm-8-5/30-spline/gm-8-5-aam-ring-and-pinion-30-spline-truetrac-lsd-pkg/

My last question is, does anyone have any experience with USA Standard gear or American Axle and Manufacturing (AAM) for ring and pinion? Are they good companies?

Edited by Sigma.40

Definitely worth it.

I won’t own a truck - 2WD or 4WD - without LSD.

Open diffs with 4WD can still get stuck if one front wheel and one rear wheel are slipping...not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro