DD lq9 build

I have a 06 sierra Denali with a lq9 and am on the quest for more power. 

Currently I am just rocking a CAI, accell super coils, Taylor cable 10.4mm plug wires, throttle body spacer, non descript exhaust, and a diablosport tune. I have long tubes to put on it, but when I went to install them I immediately noticed that a few of my manifold bolts were already broken and lost motivation (not sure how that happened). I do not want to pull my heads unless I have new ones to put on. At this point in time, I am considering putting in: TSP stage 3 low lift truck cam, ls7 lifters, ls6 valve springs, ls9 head gaskets l92 heads, and ls3 intake, gm performance oil pump, and evientually either a procharger or on3 tt set up with a 2800 stall. I'm a broke college kid so n/a will be the way to go for now, but I'd still like to keep it boost friendly for the future. 600 whp is my dream. Any thoughts/ideas on what route I should go for heads/cam and procharger vs turbo? It is a daily driver and I do pull trailers fairly regularly. I live in south Louisiana so I have 93 octane, but e85 isn't viable for a daily.  Trying to keep it on the cheap. Also planning on doing all the work myself (except tuning). Any and all comments/critiques welcomed; just trying to gain some knowledge and make more power.  

IMG_0004.PNG

L92 heads are great for horsepower around 4500 rpm and up... and loss of torque below that.  There is a reason all the truck applications using L92s have VVT... it's not a coincidence.  

A cheap compression bump if you want is 243s.. same head as the 317 with a 64 cc chamber netting you basically 11:1 compression. 

If I were you... just do the cam. The stock heads flow quite well for the power level you will be at. If you want some big stupid number you need forced induction and you can get that either way.  A cheap turbo setup and voila.. 600 wheel.  

Use the truck intakes too... they actually work better than the car ones for what you are doing.

Edited by SierraHD17

Thanks for the input. I’m glad someone finally replied.

I was considering 243s for a while, but thought the compression would be a little high for boost.

I’m probably just going to get some extra 317s off of eBay, deck them and get the valves seats re-cut that way  my truck isn’t down for a week while my heads are at the machine shop. 

Totally depends I guess.  I did 243s on my buddies turbo truck... LQ4 bottom end and it is sitting at 10.5:1. My own turbo'd Nova is also an LQ4 bottom end but is closer to 11:1 compression.  I run it on race fuel and let it eat but I was hammering it around on 94 pump and it was doing fine at 8 to 10 lbs of boost.  Now at 15 pounds it's more just a safety net... plus its carbed and has no knock sensors lol.  

22 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Totally depends I guess.  I did 243s on my buddies turbo truck... LQ4 bottom end and it is sitting at 10.5:1. My own turbo'd Nova is also an LQ4 bottom end but is closer to 11:1 compression.  I run it on race fuel and let it eat but I was hammering it around on 94 pump and it was doing fine at 8 to 10 lbs of boost.  Now at 15 pounds it's more just a safety net... plus its carbed and has no knock sensors lol.  

Different headgaskets I’m assuming?

Just remove the broken exhaust bolts or get the kit from pro maxx that has the bracket template, oil, drill bits and everything you'll need to drill em out without damage. If you call the guy they've been known to work with people on a custom kit. It'll pay for itself if you do some broken exhaust manifold bolts on the side for extra $$$$

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk