Airbag light on and windshield washer pump

Eric Howard

Question

Hey everyone!

I recently purchased a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 from a family member. I got a really good deal on it but it came with a few issues that im unsure how to proceed on. 

1st issue - Windshield Washer Pump

The windshield washer pump runs constantly when a fuse in placed in the fusebox under the hood. Its only the pump that runs and it does not activate the wipers as if you were turning the switch on the steering. I did replace the washer pump hoping that would resolve the issue but no go on that.

2nd issue - Check Airbag System light

The airbag system light is on. I took the truck into a shop but they said the error code it is throwing is not giving them any information on what it would be. They said they would have to go threw the trucks airbag system until they found what it was. Was hoping someone has some things I could try myself before throwing money at the shop to have them figure it out. 

Hoping someone has something that can point me in a direction to get the issues resolved!

Thanks everyone,

7 answers to this question

On the washer fluid pump, it sounds like you have a shorted ground there. When you press the lever on the column, that grounds the pump and makes it run (at least that's how they used to do things - I'd have to look at a diagram to see if it switches ground or power).

As far as the airbags go, it could literally be one of a million different problems with the information you provided. Need the code(s) for starters. That said, check the front airbag sensors - very common issue on these trucks. They puff up with corrosion and blow out - it's usually pretty obvious on a visual inspection.

You're one of the few that have had a good dealership experience. Consider yourself lucky!

Glad you got it resolved. Happy New Year. :cheers:

7 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

You're one of the few that have had a good dealership experience. Consider yourself lucky!

Glad you got it resolved. Happy New Year. :cheers:

One of the few on this forum? Dealers have happy customers every day. Surely not all customers but most.

Can't speak for the forum, but I hear the same thing over and over from customers, and read about it not only here, but all across the internet from hot rod forums to Youtube comments ... and don't forget my own "wonderful" warranty experiences 8-11 years ago.