Borla S type vs GMC Borla exhaust help

I was hoping someone could help me out with my exhaust choice. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new catback system. From what I've seen and heard on youtube and this forum I really like the sound of the borla s-type catback system. However, I can't figure out which one to order if I go through GMC.. My understanding is Borla makes systems specifically for GMC to help with the drone sound of these trucks when AFM kicks in. However, when I go to GMC accessory page online, they don't specify "s-type' in any of the descriptions.  

https://accessories.gmc.com/search/2018/GMC/Sierra 1500#/12009/Performance?sortId=top

Also on another note, I was hoping to find the version with the rear side exit on each side (like in the link below) but do not see that version available on GMC's website. Am I missing something? Only see the dual passenger side exit, or straight out the back bumper....

https://www.borla.com/products/silverado_sierra_1500_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140719.html

My truck is the 5.3 and is brand new (2018), so only reason I was going with the GMC version was to not void warranty (or does that matter if I just go directly from borla?) Also was hoping to avoid any drone noise in V4 on highway. Will most likely be pairing with the Cold Air Inductions Inc. CAI. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

I run that setup on my 2016. GM Borla dual rear exit with the CAI intake. I'm pretty sure the only model from GM is the "touring" model. It sounds nice when you get on it but is by no means aggressive. I can also still talk to people in the cab even when towing, which is a bonus.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, jdaddy33 said:

I was hoping someone could help me out with my exhaust choice. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new catback system. From what I've seen and heard on youtube and this forum I really like the sound of the borla s-type catback system. However, I can't figure out which one to order if I go through GMC.. My understanding is Borla makes systems specifically for GMC to help with the drone sound of these trucks when AFM kicks in. However, when I go to GMC accessory page online, they don't specify "s-type' in any of the descriptions.  

https://accessories.gmc.com/search/2018/GMC/Sierra 1500#/12009/Performance?sortId=top

Also on another note, I was hoping to find the version with the rear side exit on each side (like in the link below) but do not see that version available on GMC's website. Am I missing something? Only see the dual passenger side exit, or straight out the back bumper....

https://www.borla.com/products/silverado_sierra_1500_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140719.html

My truck is the 5.3 and is brand new (2018), so only reason I was going with the GMC version was to not void warranty (or does that matter if I just go directly from borla?) Also was hoping to avoid any drone noise in V4 on highway. Will most likely be pairing with the Cold Air Inductions Inc. CAI. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Any Borla exhaust made for your truck will not void your warranty.

From the Borla website:

Q. Will it void my factory warranty?

NO. Some cars even have BORLA® systems as the OEM exhaust. All of our street Cat-Back™s™, Rear Sections and Mufflers are 50-state emissions legal. In fact, it is illegal for a dealer to deny you the OE warranty because you have changed the exhaust system.

If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov.  If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov

Edited by SS502

The Borla system will not void it nor will any other cat back exhaust. Since its after the catalytic converters there is nothing to void except the exhaust itself which has been replaced. Now to avoid the drone, get the GM system that has the flapper in it. I have it on my truck and love it. It is only noticeable when you want it to be. No drone and can still hold a conversation in cab. 

Thanks for the responses so far. A little bummed they don't sell the GMC version of the type S, really like that sound from the videos I've watched. I see they have 4 part numbers shown for the 5.3 side exit version on the GMC accessory parts page. Can anyone tell me why are there 4 different part numbers? I first thought 1. "touring" 2. "type s" and 3.  "ATAK" but not sure on 4th? I then thought different part numbers for different bed lengths maybe? but to my knowledge there are only 3 bed lengths, so don't understand the 4th part number. 

Ok found some more info out with a few phone calls. Sorry for the additional posts. Called GMC first, guy couldn't tell me much about how the GMC exhaust system compares directly to Borla's "touring" "type s" and "ATAK." All he could tell me was the multiple part numbers are for different bed lengths, still not sure why there is 4 listed though :confused:. He was able to inform me I would be looking at around $1,600 all in for the GMC borla system (1,309 installed, and oh an extra $161 for the chrome tips)...ouch. 

Next spoke to a very helpful gentlemen at Borla. He said the GMC Borla exhaust is designed especially for the AFM system in the GM trucks by GM engineers. In regards to sound he stated the GMC system is slightly above the "touring" model, but definitely quieter than the Type S. He said if I went with the type S, there would be a very good chance I could experience drone, especially in my 5.3, between 1300-1700 rpm's (ie. helicopter sound). Basically he said it would be something I would experience and decide if I could live with (any good video's of this drone sound?). He suggested if I really wanted the type S system to use a range device, and disable V4 mode (then no drone). 

So now my questions are.....  1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a video of someone with the GMC Borla system so I can compare the sound to the type S? and 2. I know nothing about these range devices, do they work? do they void warranty? etc. 

Thanks again everyone 

You can get the GM Borla exhaust at ShopChevyParts.com for about $1,000. I installed mine in the driveway with the help of my son. I was able to drive the truck up on 8" blocks which allowed enough clearance to get the stock exhaust off in one piece. The Borla kit is really nice, fits perfectly, and was easy to install. Probably took 2.5 hours start to finish taking my time. I listened to a ton of sound clips online but don't think that is a very good way to judge the true sound because it sounds a lot meatier when the engine has a load on it. It will roar when you get on it, quiets right down when cruising down the freeway but you still know it's there. The best sound is in town stop light to stop light in Tow/Haul mode .

See ShopChevy at link below.

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/sierra-1500/performance-c-1456_4466_4467_4478.html

• Like 1