Has anyone changed the front shocks.

Thinking of putting in some Bilstein shocks on my 2015 GMC 1500 Sierra. Rear shocks are easy. Fronts, I am wondering if it would be possible to take the shock out without taking out the entire coil spring.  Do you think the coil spring pressure would be released enough by simply raising the frame, removing the wheel and using a box wrench ratchet to get the top bolt off the shock while holding the top of that bolt with vise grips to stop it from spinning. Then remove the two lower shock bolts and pull it out? 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I'm not a mechanic but that my friend sounds very unsafe and would not recommend it. I tried to do it with a kit at home and the those coils bent the tool! I ended up just removing them completely and sent them to my local pep boys to have them swap out the struts.  $40 bucks and I got to keep my appendages lol. :cheers:

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, chuckworkb said:

Thinking of putting in some Bilstein shocks on my 2015 GMC 1500 Sierra. Rear shocks are easy. Fronts, I am wondering if it would be possible to take the shock out without taking out the entire coil spring.  Do you think the coil spring pressure would be released enough by simply raising the frame, removing the wheel and using a box wrench ratchet to get the top bolt off the shock while holding the top of that bolt with vise grips to stop it from spinning. Then remove the two lower shock bolts and pull it out? 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Yea, that needs to be filmed if attempted. Spring compresses are pretty cheap to rent if you are determined to do it yourself. Best idea is the previous post, have someone else do the dangerous work for you.

I found a couple of videos on the web of folks removing the coil without compressing it.  I am older and wiser these days and take fewer risks, so if the springs have to be compressed, I'll bail out on this DIY project, and just bite the bullet and take it to the garage.