6.0L will not heat up

I have a 2000 2500 with a 6.0L. Just purchased the truck. And it had a leaking radiator. So I replaced it and i can't get it to go above 160f on my scanner. So than i replaced thermostat thinking it was stuck open, and same deal. Shouldn't it be closer to the hallway mark about 210?. 

Next I would:

1) run the engine up to temp (driving around for 15-20 minutes should do it)

2) use a IR gun on the engine block/hoses/etc and see how hot they are.  Should be about 90C, 195F, or possibly higher, depending on ambient temp and driving conditions

But I would think the next thing to look at would be the temperature sensor.

Is your belt on correctly

Make sure the fan is disengaged right after start up, as it warms up, the cooling fan should be non operational. If its always running, that could cause this.

Also, if you run a stock T stat, make sure your trans temps stay below 195 so you do not cook the transmission. A aftermarket cooler will easily install where the small stock one lives now just behind the grill.

I have run a 160 T stat in the summer when I tow more and have had no issues, or codes. In the winter here, the stock `195 is a must though.

Edited by Formulabruce