Touch-up paint for door edge?

Cupton

What would you all use for touch-up in this case? Dr. ColorChip or the ACDelco 4-in-1 Touch up pen?

I’ve got some paint wearing off because apparently my door makes contact with the drywall in the garage more often than I thought it did. [emoji6]

98d20d7b27b4da409fc43e0d89eafb56.jpg

Edited by Cupton

What would you all use for touch-up in this case?Dr. ColorChip or the ACDelco 4-in-1 Touch up pen?

I’ve got some paint wearing off because apparently my door makes contact with the drywall in the garage more often than I thought it did. [emoji6]

98d20d7b27b4da409fc43e0d89eafb56.jpg

AC Delco 4in 1. Maybe find some color matched door trim and apply after you touch up the rubbed off area. I had some from amazon, never faded either and great in case you accidentally tap someone else’s vehicle with your door.

Sent from above

• Thanks 1

AC Delco 4in 1. Maybe find some color matched door trim and apply after you touch up the rubbed off area. I had some from amazon, never faded either and great in case you accidentally tap someone else’s vehicle with your door.

Sent from above

Good idea about the trim! For now, Im putting on the garage wall one of those felt furniture pads that are designed to put under furniture  so it doesn't scratch the floor.  

a925639d935fc0ea143dffe139f2e042.jpg

• Like 1

Good idea about the trim! For now, Im putting on the garage wall one of those felt furniture pads that are designed to put under furniture  so it doesn't scratch the floor.   

a925639d935fc0ea143dffe139f2e042.jpg

Go buy 3 ft of heavy duty pvc pipe, wrap it with that heavy duty pipe wrap, on both ends....drill a hole through the wrap and pvc pipe on each end then drill the (your choice) 3” screws with washers into your studs. The washers will keep the plastic pvc pipe from being pushed through the holes in the event it’s ever slammed into by something.

Now you’ve got a permanent solution that doesn’t require you to stop at a certain location in your garage. Good luck [emoji256]

Sent from above

• Thanks 1

I'd use the pen, but I'd wet sand it with 2000 grit after it dries and once it's even with the old paint, buff it out with polish.  You should be able to make it look like it was never there.  After that, apply a clear bra strip around the edge of the door.  I had that done with the rest of the clear bra I had done on my 18 Z71 front end.  I did every painted surface on the front as well as the door handle pockets and door edges.  It works well and you can't hardly see it even if you're looking for it.

The padded wall block is a great idea no matter what you do with the door.

3 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

I'd use the pen, but I'd wet sand it with 2000 grit after it dries and once it's even with the old paint, buff it out with polish.  You should be able to make it look like it was never there.  After that, apply a clear bra strip around the edge of the door.  I had that done with the rest of the clear bra I had done on my 18 Z71 front end.  I did every painted surface on the front as well as the door handle pockets and door edges.  It works well and you can't hardly see it even if you're looking for it.

The padded wall block is a great idea no matter what you do with the door.

Thanks for the tips! ACDelco pen has already been ordered and I’ll give it a go even though the thought of using any sandpaper on my truck freaks me out. Maybe I’ll practice on the snowblower first! ?

I do have some 2000 grit 3M automotive sandpaper in the garage that I bought to polish out some scratches in a knife blade. 

Edited by Cupton
  • Like 1

Make sure you use it wet.  Put a small piece, maybe 3x the size of the repair area, on a small piece of wood. Maybe a paint stick piece?  Work VERY lightly and keep it flat. Remember, the idea is to knock the blob of new paint down flat with the existing paint, nothing more.  If the touch up paint is lawyer, it will dry quickly, if not it may be a day or two before you can level the repair.

Edited by Mike GMC
Fat fingers, little keyboard
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jesse310 said:

Dr color chip looks like it works really well with small chips.  I think I might give it a go.  The only thing I am concerned about is the chip being too big (1/4 inch) Check out there video below:

Dr chip works great, on paint chips.  Fixed some myself with it on a black car.  Came out pretty well.

9 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

Dr chip works great, on paint chips.  Fixed some myself with it on a black car.  Came out pretty well.

That's good news.  I almost took my car into a body shop.  So glad I didn't!

11 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

Make sure you use it wet.  Put a small piece, maybe 3x the size of the repair area, on a small piece of wood. Maybe a paint stick piece?  Work VERY lightly and keep it flat. Remember, the idea is to knock the blob of new paint down flat with the existing paint, nothing more.  If the touch up paint is lawyer, it will dry quickly, if not it may be a day or two before you can level the repair.

Dumb question. Sanding is done before or after the clear coat?

Both.  Bring the base coat up above the surrounding paint then flatten it.  Then a thin clear coat.  The flatten that.  Then polish it out.  Since you are essentially using a brush, you need to smooth each layer.

4 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

Both.  Bring the base coat up above the surrounding paint then flatten it.  Then a thin clear coat.  The flatten that.  Then polish it out.  Since you are essentially using a brush, you need to smooth each layer.

Awesome, thank you!