New style tailgate

I know on the new half tons the bed is wider by about 6" and the bed sides seem taller.  Before picking up my 2019 Sierra 2500 I took a look at the 2019 half ton Sierra to get a better idea what the 2020 3/4 and 1 ton trucks might look like.  I was not impressed and decided that I would rather be in a 2019 with a well tested gas powertrain and better styling (in my opinion).

When looking, I particularly disliked the new tailgate.  A push of a couple of wrong buttons will send the tailgate smashing into your ball hitch (which I always have on my truck).  Even if that didn't happen (which with my luck, it would happen without a doubt), the fold down feature would be rendered useless for me anyway.  I also prefer a regular handle over buttons on the tailgate.  Automatic opening of the tailgate from the key fob was over the top and just had me shaking my head, reciting the famous words of Sheriff Buford T. Justice - 'What in the hell, is this world coming to?'

Edited by OldMike
  • Like 1

First it was the cutouts in the rear bumper now it's the fancy tailgate.  They sure are tracking the age demographic of us old guys.  Too bad the truck is so ****ing tall I can't get the the wiper blades off to remove the arms to remove the cowl panel to check for mice unless I get a fancy over the engine creeper.  Driver side is easy but passenger.........no way can I reach.

• 9 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, ickyoldman said:

First it was the cutouts in the rear bumper now it's the fancy tailgate.  They sure are tracking the age demographic of us old guys.  Too bad the truck is so ****ing tall I can't get the the wiper blades off to remove the arms to remove the cowl panel to check for mice unless I get a fancy over the engine creeper.  Driver side is easy but passenger.........no way can I reach.

I finally have had to admit that sometimes I need a stool -- even on the '18....