Random Gauge Issue Happening

I have an 08 Silverado 5.3 LT I recently purchased as a DD.  This morning on my way to work I was rolling down the highway and the service airbag light came on...I thought ok odd timing but I will get it checked out.  I had to make a stop and when I came back out and started the truck the information center was blank, the Oil pressure, Temperature, and Voltage gauges were all in a 3 to 6 o'clock position in their respective locations.  Fuel gauge, Speedometer, and Tach all worked as they should.  

I went ahead and headed home and unhooked the battery terminal for a few minutes.  I started the truck and everything was back to normal, all gauges were normal and airbag light was off.  I put away the tools and went back and started the truck and the gauges were malfunctioning again.

I have spent a couple of hours this morning combing through threads and youtube videos but have not been able to find anything with the symptoms I am experiencing with this cluster.

Any thoughts or feedback would be very much appreciated!

7 hours ago, White01ss said:

I have an 08 Silverado 5.3 LT I recently purchased as a DD.  This morning on my way to work I was rolling down the highway and the service airbag light came on...I thought ok odd timing but I will get it checked out.  I had to make a stop and when I came back out and started the truck the information center was blank, the Oil pressure, Temperature, and Voltage gauges were all in a 3 to 6 o'clock position in their respective locations.  Fuel gauge, Speedometer, and Tach all worked as they should.  

I went ahead and headed home and unhooked the battery terminal for a few minutes.  I started the truck and everything was back to normal, all gauges were normal and airbag light was off.  I put away the tools and went back and started the truck and the gauges were malfunctioning again.

I have spent a couple of hours this morning combing through threads and youtube videos but have not been able to find anything with the symptoms I am experiencing with this cluster.

Any thoughts or feedback would be very much appreciated!

3 hours ago, sefiroxx said:

Check ground connections

That's a very good suggestion. I would definetly do this just to make sure the Ground is good. BUT. If the gauges are good normally that will mean that the ground is good.

How capable are you of testing circuits?

You have 2 powers in going to the cluster.

Circuit 1639 Which is a pink wire that is terminal 5 at the cluster connector. This circuit is powered in run/crank positions.

Circuit 2840 Which is a red/white wire that is terminal 1 at the cluster connector. This circuit battery positive (hot all the time)

The ground circuit is

Ground 201 circuit 1851 terminal 13 Black/White at cluster connector

Using a cheap test light. (cheap test lights have no led's and a regular bulb which makes testing better) Test those circuits. If you have power and ground, (and you know you have communications because the gauges are working) you have a bad instrument panel cluster.

Capture.JPG.d53a740345ebdeb445c46f076ece218d.JPG

14 hours ago, carnau said:

That's a very good suggestion. I would definetly do this just to make sure the Ground is good. BUT. If the gauges are good normally that will mean that the ground is good.

How capable are you of testing circuits?

You have 2 powers in going to the cluster.

Circuit 1639 Which is a pink wire that is terminal 5 at the cluster connector. This circuit is powered in run/crank positions.

Circuit 2840 Which is a red/white wire that is terminal 1 at the cluster connector. This circuit battery positive (hot all the time)

The ground circuit is

Ground 201 circuit 1851 terminal 13 Black/White at cluster connector

Using a cheap test light. (cheap test lights have no led's and a regular bulb which makes testing better) Test those circuits. If you have power and ground, (and you know you have communications because the gauges are working) you have a bad instrument panel cluster.

Capture.JPG.d53a740345ebdeb445c46f076ece218d.JPG

This is amazing information, thank you for providing these details!!

I am comfortable performing the tasks that you outlined, so I will take a deeper look into the issue this weekend using your recommendation. 

Also check your battery. A dying battery can cause all sorts of electrical mischief. The computers don't get the voltage they expect at startup, before the alternator kicks in, and they can boot up in some weird states.