Strong / Bad ‘New Car Smell’; Toxic?

After test driving a handful of trucks, I’ve noticed there’s a really strong, bad smelling ‘new car smell’ in these Colorado’s.

Isn’t this the glue, epoxy, adhesives they use, which if you were to purchase for home use, the label would say toxic fumes / use in well ventilated area?

Do these trucks have a very strong smell across the board?

Has this bothered anyone else upon delivery?

What can I do to speed up the process of getting rid of it upon delivery, besides driving with the windows down?

Unfortunately, somewhat nauseating.

Thanks. :(

It's the off-gassing of the plastics and the carpet. Wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers pick materials that produce the longest lasting off-gassing.  And believe it or not, each of the big three have a unique new car "smell" to them. 

If you are sure it's not going to rain or snow, leave the windows down an inch and park in the sun. 

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:35 PM, Doug_Scott said:

It's the off-gassing of the plastics and the carpet. Wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers pick materials that produce the longest lasting off-gassing.  And believe it or not, each of the big three have a unique new car "smell" to them. 

If you are sure it's not going to rain or snow, leave the windows down an inch and park in the sun. 

Argh; yes; seems to be a matter of time for the VOC's to 'off-gas' from what I'm told.

Windows open, smells go away faster, windows closed, smells last much longer. Unfortunately, most owners drive with all windows up all the time.

If you have the option to "recirculate" inside air on your climate control, leaving it off to allow outside air into the vehicle will help dissipate the smell, and in fact, serves the same purpose as leaving a window open a slight amount.

Many think that the smells come from polymer-based materials (plastics) used in vehicle interiors, but many studies have proven this to not be the case. The great majority of smells come from other sources, even from natural materials used in the vehicle.

But then again, so many new materials are created every year, it's becoming much harder to tell exactly where the smells come from, and whether or not the materials being inhaled could be potentially harmful.

• 2 years later...

Different cars have different scents, because a lot of different materials are used to make them. And yet, the smell of a new car is always great, it's impossible not to like it, and every car owner tries to keep it in his car for as long as possible. The smell in the cabin of a new car is formed because of the high concentration of harmful components in it, and in a new car there is a whole level more of them than in an ordinary living room. First of all phenol, which is considered to be almost the most poisonous among organic compounds, polybrominated diphenyl ethers and many others. In addition, bromine, chlorine, and phthalates are also quite toxic. If you calculate total car expenses and add thorough washing after the purchase of a new car, you get quite a sum.

Edited by Cligerson