Hey guys, just got a 98 Sierra 1500, it was set up with dual in single out. Right now the single is ripped out of the muffler. The dual pipes are still good I had them checked out, Now I’m trying to figure out if I can do flowmaster super 40 dual in dual out or do two separate mufflers single in single out. And ethier way should I be doing X pipe? Or is that kinda same concept as having dual in dual out in the one muffler ? Any info appreciated this is first truck I’m doing mods on , thanks 

My previous 96 K1500 had (2) single in single out flowmaster 40s on it and they sounded great.   

1 minute ago, Walks-28 said:

Did you use x pipe? Or did they run like completely separately? 

They were separate. The 96 truck and my current 1997 GMT400 both have two catalytic converters on two down pipes from the engine so it can be true dual setup if you wish.

Currently mine has two pipes from manifold with two cats, like yours I’m thinking two super 40 mufflers and dual all the way back, my local shop said I should put an X pipe in, I don’t understand the Benifet of doing that 

I have duel 2 1/2 to single 50 delta flow on my 93 TBI. I like how it sounds. You can add an X pipe prior to the new muffler, but if you have a stock engine you will see little noticeable difference. You can fit ether set up under your truck. Lots-O-room I just like the Duel in out set up as I think of that as a good set up for this application. 

Although a X-pipe or H-pipe for that matter might add a minimal amount of additional hp, it's main advantage is to BALANCE out the exhaust pressure between the 2 cylinder banks. It eliminates the pulsations and uneven resonance on a dual exhaust system and will result in a more pleasant sounding exhaust system and depending on the mufflers less cabin drone.

Thanks for the tips guys, shop kinda sold me on a dual in dual out flowmaster super 44 muffler basically that it would be best bang for buck and easiest way to do it, being cheaper and less work then doing two mufflers, wondering if this will kind of have similar affect of X or H pipe being that the muffler itself would be kind of like a “crossover” point , does that make sense? Trying to learn here! Lol 

my 98 has dual into the muffle and dual out of the single muffler going straight back coming out on each side of center hitch in rear , i like the way it sounds, as far as i know , this is the stock setup