Cab/bed alignment

Took the truck in today and had the service department look at it. Also presented the TSB and they said it was the first they’ve seen. 

it’ll go to their body shop Monday for the fix. I also noted to them that the drivers side is also higher by about 1/3” and that the TSB fix doesn’t address that part. We will see what the body shop comes up with as I’m giving explicit instructions not to mess with the cab mounts without me looking at what they might plan do to first.

11 hours ago, Z06JPB said:

Took the truck in today and had the service department look at it. Also presented the TSB and they said it was the first they’ve seen. 

it’ll go to their body shop Monday for the fix. I also noted to them that the drivers side is also higher by about 1/3” and that the TSB fix doesn’t address that part. We will see what the body shop comes up with as I’m giving explicit instructions not to mess with the cab mounts without me looking at what they might plan do to first.

The TSB does address that part. It says to remove the locator pin on the bed. It might be crushed. This is exactly what is wrong with mine.  I think I'm just going to find the exact location of the locator pin and remove it myself.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:02 AM, Mark Peterson said:

Concerning th bed alignment.  It's a 1 hour job  did mine myself to avoid all the BS. Mine is a 2020 GMC Elevation.

There is a plastic guide pin in the front right corner.

Loosen  the six bed bolts until they are almost out. Leave them in so you don't  contact the cab with the bed. This fixes the horizontal  adjustment. You need shims for the vertical. 

Left the front right corner  about an inch take a hacksaw blade just the blade and cut the plastic  guide pin on the top of the shim between the bed and shim..

Drop the bed ,move where  you want tighten it down. Done

Could you tell me where exactly the guide pin is located? I thought it was the drivers side front corner. My drivers side body line is higher than the cab. I thought the pin was front left corner.

Edited by steelcity

4 hours ago, steelcity said:

The TSB does address that part. It says to remove the locator pin on the bed. It might be crushed. This is exactly what is wrong with mine.  I think I'm just going to find the exact location of the locator pin and remove it myself.

It’s the left side that is higher on mine and the pin is in the right. It isn’t crushed but if it were it wouldn’t affect the left side being higher that I can see.

• 4 weeks later...

Took my 2020 into the dealer the other day and was sent over to the body shop. Got the truck in yesterday morning and was told it would be done the same day. 

it has not been completed yet now after the second day. Manager said they have it “apart” and are taking measurements. I’m guessing this means they followed the TSB but are still having alignment issues, likely with the height difference on the drivers side. 

I told the manager when I dropped the truck off that under no circumstances should the cab be adjusted, only the bed. If they found that a cab adjustment needed to be made to get the body line correct that he would need to call me first to discuss this because adjusting the cab could open up a can of other issues.

Could the frame be bent? Not too likely but possible I suppose. Could the box have been built incorrectly? Very possible. If I end up needing the box replaced there’s going to be some serious issues with that. No way I’m taking a body shop painted box replacement on a new $60k truck. I really hate to say it but this could be a potential buy back situation. 

Edited by Z06JPB

16 hours ago, Z06JPB said:

Took my 2020 into the dealer the other day and was sent over to the body shop. Got the truck in yesterday morning and was told it would be done the same day. 

it has not been completed yet now after the second day. Manager said they have it “apart” and are taking measurements. I’m guessing this means they followed the TSB but are still having alignment issues, likely with the height difference on the drivers side. 

I told the manager when I dropped the truck off that under no circumstances should the cab be adjusted, only the bed. If they found that a cab adjustment needed to be made to get the body line correct that he would need to call me first to discuss this because adjusting the cab could open up a can of other issues.

Could the frame be bent? Not too likely but possible I suppose. Could the box have been built incorrectly? Very possible. If I end up needing the box replaced there’s going to be some serious issues with that. No way I’m taking a body shop painted box replacement on a new $60k truck. I really hate to say it but this could be a potential buy back situation. 

Good news.

My truck has been repaired.

The body shop spent an extensive amount of time in measuring the truck frame, box, etc to ensure nothing was bent. They did mention that if the frame had been bent, it would have been an instant buyback on GM’s part. I’m glad I won’t have to go through that hassle though!

The body shop had repaired 15 trucks according to the TSB but mine was the first they’d fixed with regards to the height difference. What they found was that certain bolts were not tightened down enough keeping the drivers side “high” and the passenger side level. They removed both plastic locator pins and painstakingly aligned by hand and tightened everything down to spec. 

I couldn’t be happier! Just know that there is a way to get your bed fixed if you have the same issues I had.

Shout out to Sands Chevrolet Body Shop in Glendale, AZ for going the extra mile, taking their time, and providing great customer service.