Android Auto over wireless charger

So I've read that plugging in a wireless charger to the USB port will also connect phone via data connection to Android auto.

My question is whether it is possible to reroute the factory wireless charger cable to a USB port to allow for factory wireless charging, but also connect to Android auto through same connection?

It wouldn't be true wireless Android auto, but it should allow for the Android auto to work just by dropping phone in charging cradle...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

So I've read that plugging in a wireless charger to the USB port will also connect phone via data connection to Android auto.

My question is whether it is possible to reroute the factory wireless charger cable to a USB port to allow for factory wireless charging, but also connect to Android auto through same connection?

It wouldn't be true wireless Android auto, but it should allow for the Android auto to work just by dropping phone in charging cradle...

I've yet to see somebody complete data transfer over a plugged in wireless charging pad. Most of them are just coils of EM wire that create a charging feild but not data.

Mind linking me to where you've read this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've yet to see somebody complete data transfer over a plugged in wireless charging pad. Most of them are just coils of EM wire that create a charging feild but not data.

Mind linking me to where you've read this?

Just tried to find it quickly but couldn't from the road. However I know that Qi standards for wireless chargers support data transfer. Should work same if you plug wireless charger into a PC.

I know that factory charger is just hard wired to power and not data input so it won't work by default. But the question is whether the existing power supply to charger can be rerouted to one of the USB data inputs.

Will try to find link of someone plugging in a USB wireless charging pad to their car and data working through connection.

I'll personally try this later today.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd be very interested in making a mod if this was possible. However given the fact that the bandwidth required is so large for AA I'm not sure how well it will work in practice.

Cheers!

If it does work, it will probably lag the audio or skip it some.  I've tried going wireless in my truck using a slave device plugged in the center console USB and connecting them over wifi, but the music and maps will lag/skip due to the heavier data being transmitted.

I'll even have the same thing happen in my wifes car that has wireless carplay capability.  Video/audio sync problems mainly there rather than skipping.

If it does work, it will probably lag the audio or skip it some.  I've tried going wireless in my truck using a slave device plugged in the center console USB and connecting them over wifi, but the music and maps will lag/skip due to the heavier data being transmitted.

I'll even have the same thing happen in my wifes car that has wireless carplay capability.  Video/audio sync problems mainly there rather than skipping.
Thanks for reply. I agree there may be bandwidth issue if it even works. But i don't use AA for music, just navigation. So that's the only bandwidth I'd need from the connection.

But i'm starting to think I imagined the thread I thought I saw. I could have sworn that someone said they transferred data through aftermarket charging pad. I'm going to have to test this both in the truck and with computer in house.

I hear you.  With respect to navigation, I'd still plug it in.  Wireless AA with slave and wireless CP in my wifes car shows my location delayed some.  From my experience, 50 ft or so on average behind where you are now.