Let's talk assist steps / nerf bars

I've been trying to decide which steps to get for my new 2019 Silverado LT Z71 double cab. My previous truck was a 2010 Silverado LT Z71 double cab, and I had Westin platinum oval 4" steps on there, and absolutely loved them. After almost 10 years and about 127,000 miles the still looked great, and they were always rock solid ( they mounted to the frame at the cab mounts). Looking at what's out there now, I'm noticing that a lot of the pictures these companies take, make it look as though their steps really hang low, and you can really see the brackets....etc. Was considering just biting the bullet and buying some 6" steps from GM, but for how expensive they are you'd think they'd at least be stainless steel. What do you have on your truck ? Are you happy with them ? Some pictures would be great, especially from a side view...…..thanks guys

I have these.

https://www.luvernetruck.com/running-boards-side-steps/grip-step-7-inch

uylITdC.jpg

Frame mount. Sturdy. Brackets show and hang below board.

For winter use the best board I've had. No slipping when it snows after sitting or driving when it snowing or slushy.

The open grip metal material work's well. Still does a great job of stopping road / wheel spray.

The open design allows easy cleaning and being in Pennsylvania and I believe road salt is used there would stop build up under the board.

:)

Edited by diyer2

The only frame mount bars over been able to find the best few years have been Iron Cross Automotive. They have some that mount to the body mounts rather than the rocker panels. Take a look at them...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Most aren't frame or body mount anymore. I think it's a bit stupid. The rockers are strong when they're new but what about when things start to rust. The rocker panels are the first things to go...

cccjrsbox.....do you have a picture of those on your truck, preferably a side view ? Would like to see how they look, and how far they hang down. I saw those steps several different places, but didn't know they were frame mount. 

Went with OEM.  They are frame mount.  Took about 5 mins to install, after 10 mins of unboxing...
5ce324d6953b1_Image5-14-19at4_27PM.thumb.jpg.f809b0344c305b6039d65091bf3e5742.jpg
Nothing OEM is "frame mount" they all bolt to the rocker panel. Only ones I've found that mount to the body mounts is Iron Cross Automotive. They have a couple options.

10 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

Nothing OEM is "frame mount" they all bolt to the rocker panel. Only ones I've found that mount to the body mounts is Iron Cross Automotive. They have a couple options.

From product description:  "Utilizes factory weld nuts in frame for precise mounting".

I don't think there are weld nuts in the frame for running boards.

Rocker panels there are.

I may be wrong but a picture of the mounting will resolve the issue.

From product description:  "Utilizes factory weld nuts in frame for precise mounting".

Yea that means the rocker panels. I will guarantee you those aren't frame mounted. Granted the rockers are structural and in some vehicles they are the frame that's not the case here...

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

I don't think there are weld nuts in the frame for running boards.

Rocker panels there are.

I may be wrong but a picture of the mounting will resolve the issue.

Just went to look, here's a pic looking from under passenger rear seat toward the front to the truck.  BringTheRain403 is correct, they are rocker mounted.  Parts guy had me convinced they were frame, and I never looked after install!  Reminds me, "what's expected gets inspected"...

IMG_0216.jpeg

• Like 1

Classic example why I trust no one.

Do my research and know what I'm buying with everything I purchase.

I've made some purchases I regretted but few.