Let's talk assist steps / nerf bars

I'm not totally opposed to having rocker panel mounted steps ( although my old westins sure were solid ), it seems as though that's the direction the entire industry is going. My biggest concern about the rocker panel mount would be rust, as was mentioned previously. They absolutely love to spray that brine solution on the roads if the weatherman even hints at flurries, and I believe that brine solution they use is borderline dangerous, the way it rusts every piece of metal it touches. Another thing that I've ran into is the fact that I have a new body style truck, in a double cab configuration ( not crew cab ) and quite a few manufacturers aren't even making steps for that truck yet.

2 hours ago, cccjrsbox said:

Just went to look, here's a pic looking from under passenger rear seat toward the front to the truck.  BringTheRain403 is correct, they are rocker mounted.  Parts guy had me convinced they were frame, and I never looked after install!  Reminds me, "what's expected gets inspected"...

IMG_0216.jpeg

Have a front on view of those?  

Here is the Lund 3" nerf bars, got them on Amazon for $167.  I like the smaller diameter, and very inexpensive.  Bolted onto the factory holes, easy install.

Now down to $155:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JDMRNSB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00

truck3.thumb.jpeg.b30fb2d3b26a429ac96540a42881d07f.jpeg

Edited by scdaren

I have the OEM steps and like them.  I took pics of the side view and mounting points for reference as well (Of course the pictures sizes are too big so I need to get a new app to download them).  I did some research on the different types of steel used in their frame / body design to include diagrams from GM.  It looks like they are mounted to the structural supports of the body from what I can see under the truck.  They are rocker panels but they are also reinforced with several layers of steel.  I’ve had mine up in the air and hung on them..... They won’t be going anywhere anytime soon - ?.  I’ll update in several years after some Ohio winters.  You could also run some undercoating if you where concerned about rust delay / prevention.

Hope that helps you in your decision!

5 minutes ago, BringTheRain403 said:

Rockers are generally the first thing to rot away. If I had my choice if have bars that bolted to the body mounts...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

How long did you own the vehicle before the rockers lost their structural integrity?

I will say I saw it in Michigan. All that salt and chloride did numbers on that newish vehicle you still owed 5 digits on.

My ‘11 has no body rust and minor surface rust here and there on the frame and suspension. Still surprises me when I climb under it.