Tire pressure sensor going off on silverado.

I recently put 33 x 12.50 tires and 20 x 10 wheels on my 2015 Silverado 1500.  Everything has been great except my tire pressure sensor recently went off when my tire pressure dropped below 40 psi.  I took it to discount tire and then GM and they said I have to keep my tire pressure above 40 psi to keep the sensor from going off.  These tires really should be around 35 to 38 psi but in order to do so I have to deal with the sensor constantly going off.  Any solutions?  Thanks!

Is it safe to assume your truck came factory with LT rated tires?  Mine has P rated stock so I don't get warnings until they get down to around 29-30 psi.  Maybe there is a way to reset the alarm range since it appears there may be more than one factory range?

Yes that would be correct, they came with stock it tires.  I was thinking the same thing and asked the guy that when I was at gm this morning but he said you couldn't change that.  Maybe I will call and get a second opinion.  He even thought it was unusually high.

Most all tuners will allow you to change the tpms settings.

And 35-38 psi on a 10 ply 33” tire sounds about right on a half ton. I am running 32psi in the rear and 38psi in the front with the same size tire. Mine are wearing perfect. Both of these psi settings are “cold”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes that would be correct, they came with stock it tires.  I was thinking the same thing and asked the guy that when I was at gm this morning but he said you couldn't change that.  Maybe I will call and get a second opinion.  He even thought it was unusually high.

On the older GMT900s with the Tech-2, the sensor information resides in the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Module.

You can tell the truck what air pressure to run in kilopascals and what kind of tires they are but not the size if memory serves.  The TPMS low pressure light comes on about 10 psi below what the original setting was according to the door sticker.  I'm running LT tires on my truck at 50 psi, so that is what I set them to with the Tech-2.  This way, if they get down to 40 psi, the light will come on letting me know something is amiss.

You should be able to do the same with a laptop and using the MDI2 with GDS2 software.  This is what replaced the Tech-2.

To change tire sizes, the Service Programming System is used with the new wheels and tires (dealership options) which also provides a new sticker for the door.  

Edited by swathdiver
Additional Information
  • Like 1