2014+ Rear Axle Swap

Well I built my front Corp 10 as strong as I could get it a year or two ago.  I've been putting off what to do with the rear axle.  It's narrower than the front.  It's weak.  It's got drum brakes.  That's 3 big strikes and you're out of the old ball game.  I did a parts list for a rebuild, locker, and F body disc brake conversion....  would cost a fortune.  And after all that it's still a 10 bolt bolt in the rear.  I've been eyeing the rear axle out of my 2014 truck.  It's a 9.5" gear, disc brakes and probably wider.  Well I just put an offer on one out of a 2015 truck with 60k, so it does not need rebuilt, comes with calipers and rotors.  GU6 3.42 to match my stock gearing and has the factory G80 like my '14.  I'll cut and weld the spring perches and shock mounts to fit the K5 and have my driveshaft modified to fit.  I'm going to do a tech write up and post a a lot of pics while doing this.  I'm not thrilled that for stock type axles in the GM world we have to live with the crap 10 bolt or go up to Dana 60's, 14 bolt, or do some Frankenstein Ford 9".  For me, and my use the 12 bolt 9.5" is PERFECT. One of the reasons I held off doing this swap was the wheels my k5 has currently would not clear the 12 bolt brakes. I'm going to run 17"x8" Outlaw II's with the new jeep Rubicon KO2 tire.  285/70R17, and its a load range C and weighs in at 50 Lbs.  Currently I have old original KO's, 33x12.50 on 15x10 outlaw II's. Time for some updates... the 15's and drum brakes gotta go son.

Edited by FL335i

Picked up my axle today.  Out of a 2015.  GU6, G80.  23k miles.  included the rotors, calipers, blocks, e-brake cables... everything.  Loaded.  Truck was side swiped on the RF.  No rear damage.  I even opened the diff cover with the guys and saw the G80.  Let the swap begin.

• 2 weeks later...