Help Selecting New Silverado/Sierra?

On 6/22/2019 at 4:32 PM, Donstar said:

Please keep us posted.  If you really want the truck, and it fits comfortably within your budget,  offer what makes sense to you but don't be disappointed if they remain close to their sticker cost.  The dealership is asking a price that they believe will generate interest from a potential buyer.   There are others like me who will find this type of truck appealing and worth paying closer to asking.   The dealership also knows that more interested buyers can be generated by asking an outrageously low price.  However, I suspect they are a long way from accepting an offer in the "teens".

They convinced me to bring my truck in today to see what a trade in would be and we were way off. They offered me $4,500 for it and I know it is easily worth $8,000 so that was a no go. I made them an offer of $19,000 and the saleswoman got very upset. It is not like I have not told her that before and that has been my highest offer yet. I guess she just thought she was going to talk me into it if she saw me in person. The first thing I asked her was whether or not I could bring it home for a day and she said it was probably not something they could do. 

Thanks for all the replies. For now I am going to stop thinking about this one and check back in about a month from now. If they still have it then hopefully they will be more willing to deal. I believe I talked to the sales manager and he was much more professional, he acted less like his life depended upon selling me the truck. So I am going to ask to talk to him in the future, if the truck has not sold in about a month or so. If you could not tell, this is a big move for me. The Silverado I have now was my first ever real truck and making the move onto something that costs twenty grand just makes me nervous. 

1.) They keep using the lifetime power train warranty as a selling point, can anyone attest that they actually come through? A buddy of mine said they would not, especially if I decide to service the truck myself. 

2.) Back on topic, can anyone tell me advantages/disadvantages of the 4.3 V6? Such as oil changes being more complicated on these models?

10 hours ago, Hexa Fox said:

1.) They keep using the lifetime power train warranty as a selling point, can anyone attest that they actually come through? A buddy of mine said they would not, especially if I decide to service the truck myself. 

2.) Back on topic, can anyone tell me advantages/disadvantages of the 4.3 V6? Such as oil changes being more complicated on these models?

1.) That warranty depends on you using that shop with no exceptions. No shopping around for better price and more importantly better service. This is a non-starter for me. 

2.) 4.3, 5.3 and 6.2 Ecotec3 motors are the same design. High parts interchangeability. The 4.3 cooling is different than the other two in that the V6 cools the transmission in the cold tank and the oil in the hot tank. Visa Versa for the 5.3 and 6.2. Reason for the 5W30 in the 6 and 0W20 in the 8's...IMO. The VLOM screen and oil pressure switch is in the front on the 6 and at the back on the 8. Other than that?????? 

Most sales people are ACTORS. Oh...and 99% of them are liars by nature. IMHO They do this crazy stuff to invoke a reaction in you. They personally could care less. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

1.) That warranty depends on you using that shop with no exceptions. No shopping around for better price and more importantly better service. This is a non-starter for me. 

2.) 4.6, 5.3 and 6.2 Ecotec3 motors are the same design. High parts interchangeability. The 4.6 cooling is different than the other two in that the V6 cools the transmission in the cold tank and the oil in the hot tank. Visa Versa for the 5.3 and 6.2. Reason for the 5W30 in the 6 and 0W20 in the 8's...IMO. The VLOM screen and oil pressure switch is in the front on the 6 and at the back on the 8. Other than that?????? 

Most sales people are ACTORS. Oh...and 99% of them are liars by nature. IMHO They do this crazy stuff to invoke a reaction in you. They personally could care less. 

Grumps?  Is the 4.6 not a FERD?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hexa Fox said:

They convinced me to bring my truck in today to see what a trade in would be and we were way off. They offered me $4,500 for it and I know it is easily worth $8,000 so that was a no go. I made them an offer of $19,000 and the saleswoman got very upset. It is not like I have not told her that before and that has been my highest offer yet. I guess she just thought she was going to talk me into it if she saw me in person. The first thing I asked her was whether or not I could bring it home for a day and she said it was probably not something they could do. 

Thanks for all the replies. For now I am going to stop thinking about this one and check back in about a month from now. If they still have it then hopefully they will be more willing to deal. I believe I talked to the sales manager and he was much more professional, he acted less like his life depended upon selling me the truck. So I am going to ask to talk to him in the future, if the truck has not sold in about a month or so. If you could not tell, this is a big move for me. The Silverado I have now was my first ever real truck and making the move onto something that costs twenty grand just makes me nervous. 

Nice,nice!  It takes time....pack a lunch etc.  Wait for your price on something....Buzz by in couple weeks if it's close?  Tell them that crap V6 still sitting and no METAL MOVING?  You want to move it tonight?  Here is the deal?

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

2.) 4.6, 5.3 and 6.2 Ecotec3 motors are the same design. High parts interchangeability. The 4.6 cooling is different than the other two in that the V6 cools the transmission in the cold tank and the oil in the hot tank. Visa Versa for the 5.3 and 6.2. Reason for the 5W30 in the 6 and 0W20 in the 8's...IMO. The VLOM screen and oil pressure switch is in the front on the 6 and at the back on the 8. Other than that?????? 

Yeah it makes me very uncomfortable to say the least. I just did not want to talk completely bad about them, the only reason I have put up with them this long is because I am interested in the truck. The entire atmosphere they create just makes me get out of there as soon as possible. Not to mention they just lie through their teeth. I can say I now know why people use the line "it was like a used cars salesman" etc etc. 

I don't know what options other than cruise and power windows/locks you're looking for so please keep that in mind. Also, I'm in the Houston area.

Now I know this is for a Ford and not a GM as well as it being a 4x2 but here is a brand new 2019 single cab with the 3.3 V6 for just shy of 21k. I couldn't find any single cab new GM trucks so I used the Ford as a way to . 

https://www.cookfordtexas.com/ford-trucks-texas-city-tx.html?Bodystyle=2D+Standard+Cab&Model=F-150

For almost 30k, a new GMC 1500 SLE Double Cab 4.3. Also not a 4wd.

https://www.gaybuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2019-GMC-Sierra_1500-Double_Cab_Standard_Box_2_Wheel_Drive-Dickinson-TX/3410782363

I would offer 21k drive out next time they call and if they turn that down, accept that it was meant to be. Read into the limitations of the "Lifetime powertrain warranty", I fell for that on my '14 SIlverado and honestly, newer vehicles are more likely to have computer or electrical issues than mechanical in my opinion. Patience is the best skill to have right now. They want to sell you a truck more than you want to buy one! Good Luck!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hexa Fox said:

Yeah it makes me very uncomfortable to say the least. I just did not want to talk completely bad about them, the only reason I have put up with them this long is because I am interested in the truck. The entire atmosphere they create just makes me get out of there as soon as possible. Not to mention they just lie through their teeth. I can say I now know why people use the line "it was like a used cars salesman" etc etc. 

This is proving to be a good learning experience for you.  (I prefer shopping on Sundays as the local dealerships are closed!)  Wayne3593 suggested a compelling alternative with a new 2wd regular cab Ford for a similar price. You have all sorts of choices and time to make an acceptable decision.  You'll never leave a dealership with a purchase knowing you squeezed every cent of potential profit out of them.  They are a "for profit business"  and the amount of profit is a measure of their success. .  The truck you are considering is an "affordable" low mileage, clean 4x4 pickup and it is no surprise that the dealer will not drop their price $4K at this point.   Maybe if it sits on the lot for several months they'll consider such a low offer, but then I'd be suspicious as to why it didn't sell! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

This is proving to be a good learning experience for you.  (I prefer shopping on Sundays as the local dealerships are closed!)  Wayne3593 suggested a compelling alternative with a new 2wd regular cab Ford for a similar price. You have all sorts of choices and time to make an acceptable decision.  You'll never leave a dealership with a purchase knowing you squeezed every cent of potential profit out of them.  They are a "for profit business"  and the amount of profit is a measure of their success. .  The truck you are considering is an "affordable" low mileage, clean 4x4 pickup and it is no surprise that the dealer will not drop their price $4K at this point.   Maybe if it sits on the lot for several months they'll consider such a low offer, but then I'd be suspicious as to why it didn't sell! 

Yeah definitely, a learning experience that I will not soon forget. I am anxious to see whether or not it is sold into the near future. If it is, that is okay with me. I cannot remember what user recommended speaking to the sales manager awhile ago, but that is what I should have did. It may have been you. Like I said he seems more easy going and less like failing to sell the truck will send him to the gallows. 

2 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Nah...Go for the 19K maybe 19.5!  You can get it!  I am sure....................

Yeah definitely going to try, just going to give it some time. If they sit on it and it does not sell for say maybe a month, I might have more leverage??? 

9 hours ago, Wayne3593 said:

I don't know what options other than cruise and power windows/locks you're looking for so please keep that in mind. Also, I'm in the Houston area.

Now I know this is for a Ford and not a GM as well as it being a 4x2 but here is a brand new 2019 single cab with the 3.3 V6 for just shy of 21k. I couldn't find any single cab new GM trucks so I used the Ford as a way to . 

https://www.cookfordtexas.com/ford-trucks-texas-city-tx.html?Bodystyle=2D+Standard+Cab&Model=F-150

For almost 30k, a new GMC 1500 SLE Double Cab 4.3. Also not a 4wd.

https://www.gaybuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2019-GMC-Sierra_1500-Double_Cab_Standard_Box_2_Wheel_Drive-Dickinson-TX/3410782363

I would offer 21k drive out next time they call and if they turn that down, accept that it was meant to be. Read into the limitations of the "Lifetime powertrain warranty", I fell for that on my '14 SIlverado and honestly, newer vehicles are more likely to have computer or electrical issues than mechanical in my opinion. Patience is the best skill to have right now. They want to sell you a truck more than you want to buy one! Good Luck!

I can second that newer vehicles are more likely have electrical or computer issues before mechanical ones. Thanks for the recommendations too, Donstar pretty much summed it up when he said this would be a "nice refresher" from my current truck. My current truck is as base as it gets. I miss having cruise control and power windows very much. This truck (I am interested in) has cruise control and I am looking at making some kind of commute in the near future so it definitely interests me. 

Also no offense to anyone but do not think I would buy a truck without 4x4. I do not use it often, but when I do it is most definitely worth the extra money and little bit of impact to fuel mileage. Also I like that the 4x4 sits a little higher than their RWD counter parts. 

This truck is definitely going to need new tires pretty soon and would still like a more reasonable offer. So like others have mentioned if they get closer to what I want to pay and I can talk them into new tires then we might have a deal. Plus I am going to put a nice bed cover on it right after I get it too. Probably the new Revolver cover from Bak Industries. I have the F1 Bak Flip now and have been happy with it overall. My main complaint is having the long bed means more cover. So when I have to flip it all the way to the cab it becomes heavy and blocks my rear window. The Revolver looks like it solves all those complaints. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 5:04 AM, Wayne3593 said:

Just checking in, did you find a better deal elsewhere or make a deal on that one?

Sorry for some reason I was not notified of this message. So according to the dealer the truck sold a long time ago for right around $25,000 after everything was said and done. The dealer said someone just came in and basically paid what they wanted. In my personal opinion the truck was just not worth anything close to that. My friend that is a Chevrolet dealer (five hour drive) said they are selling the 2019 version of that truck for $29,000. 

My buddy is just too far for me to justify driving to him to purchase a truck. Having that said I am happy I did not let this garbage dealership bully me into purchasing the truck. Just like Don Star said it has been a learning experience for me to say the least. These people will say anything to sell you a vehicle. Anyway like I said I personally do not think the truck was worth it.

I mean I know pricing has changed on vehicles with the digital age. However, you could probably still get at least $1,000-$2,000 off of the $29,000 right? So for a few thousand more dollars you could get a brand new truck with actual warranty. For the record, my final offer for the truck was $19,500 and they informed me that "we were not close". I may have been upset if I would have paid that much, because that was before taxes and other fees. 

I hope this thread is not too old to revive and discuss other trucks. This community has been great and made my decision to not get the previous truck easier. 

Having that said I was visiting my mother today and a family friend mentioned a nearby dealership selling a truck that I might be interested in. He said he was only there for a short time and the dealer lowered the offer to $16,000 so he would probably take less for it. To make a long story short here is the truck I am referring to. As always any criticism would be greatly appreciated. 

https://autodealz.com/inventory/31817/view/2738V/Shenandoah-VA/2012-Chevrolet-Silverado 1500

So after the family get together was over I was able to go check out the truck in person. There is definitely some wear on the truck, such as some minor rust and scratches. It also has a couple small dents in the bed. So some major factors. Say he decides to take $15,000 for it, which it sounds like he probably will, it will be half the price of a new one. 

1. The rocker panels and all other parts of the body seem to be in excellent cosmetic shape and there is no visible rust or paint peeling. There seems to be some rust on the frame and on the chrome bed rails that were added to the truck. To be straight, the rust condition on this truck is considerably better than mine. Also there seems to be some kind of coating on the frame of the truck. It could be good or bad considering I cannot see how good or bad the rust may have been on those places.

2. I am having trouble getting my tailgate latched and is difficult to remove the tailgate all together now. This tailgate is in much better shape, you can easily close it and it latches which I like. Mine has been difficult since I was rear ended and had to have it replaced. 

3. This truck has cruise control and power windows, something I greatly miss in my truck. 

4. This truck is white....... I know some people go crazy over white, but I am personally against it. If I bought it I would put a bed cover on it immediately and either chrome or anodized (black) rims soon after.

Anyway this is already becoming a flood so let me know what you guys think. 

Edited by Hexa Fox