Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hexa Fox

Help Selecting New Silverado/Sierra?

Recommended Posts

Greetings Gentlemen,

 

I was wondering if this community could give me thoughts on this engine? I have always said to myself that "if I own a truck, it is going to be a V8". Right now my truck is a 2007 4.8 V8 and it has been a great truck to say the least. However, I bought it from Pennsylvania some time ago and it is beginning to rust and cause me other issues. So I was  at my dealer today and saw this beautiful regular cab 4x4 Chevrolet that I was  immediately drawn to. However, I was drawn away from it equally as fast because it was the 4.3 V6. Now to be fair I am bias because I no little to nothing about the 4.3 V6 engine. Here is the truck I am talking about:

 

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/774812465/overview/

 

I was doing a little reading here:

 

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/mar/0307-silverado-v6.html

 

This has only made me more confused. Because this truck I am looking at runs Flex Fuel, which I know even less about and the article is talking about "EcoTec". So do I have to run Flex Fuel in it, or can I run anything and if so which fuel should I select? I have been comparing these trucks and it looks like I will get a little more horse power and a little bit better mileage in this 4.3 V6. Basically does this truck I linked to have the same engine that is so raved about in the article? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always thought the same way growing up with the duramax and multiple Tahoe’s and older 350s. Having owned both a 2015 4.3 and now a 2018 5.3 I recommend the v8. Just an all around better engine with more power. I would choose my v8 over the v6 any day, but it depends on your needs.

 

The only thing I miss about my 4.3 was the in town fuel mileage. I got 15ish driving like I stole it and that was leveled and AT tires. The stock v8 I get 12-14 depending on how I drive. Highway I couldn’t get anything over 17, however, a buddy has a v6 with the 3.42 gearing and he gets close to 20. Which is closer to the 22 I get on the highway with the v8 with 3.42 gearing. I personally think the v6 with 3.23 gearing is underpowered for a full-size truck.

 

You Don’t have to run E85, But it’s a fun option.. increase hp and tq by like 25. I always ran 87.

 

Changing oil on the 5.3 is 1000 times easier also. Ha ha. Just had my first oil change this past weekend on the 5.3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m pretty sure the v6 all come with 3.42 rear ends giving them a trailer tow weight of 7,000. Most 5.3 Silverados came with 3.08 and a tow rating of 6,000. I have a feeling the v6 is going to feel like it has more pep unless you find a v8 with 3.42s. I’d get a v6 if you are cool with this. Just remember you can tow more than a lot of the v8 out there... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looks like a beautiful truck!  I went from a '00 Silverado 4.8 to a '09 Sierra 5.3 to a '15  Sierra.4.3.  My current truck with a 4.3 CC 4X4 Std. bed  can do everything as well or better than my previous trucks on a lot less fuel.  GM offers engines with more power but the 4.3 will not disappoint as long as you use your truck within its specified ratings.  If you plan on towing trailers greater than 7,000 lbs with your 1/2 ton then you will need to consider a larger engine.  I tow a travel trailer with my truck (+/- 5,000 lbs) and the truck pulls it comfortably.

Edited by Donstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m pretty sure the v6 all come with 3.42 rear ends giving them a trailer tow weight of 7,000. Most 5.3 Silverados came with 3.08 and a tow rating of 6,000. I have a feeling the v6 is going to feel like it has more pep unless you find a v8 with 3.42s. I’d get a v6 if you are cool with this. Just remember you can tow more than a lot of the v8 out there... 

My WT had the 3.23. But I think every other trim level came with the 3.42. Mine didn’t have a receiver hitch so it wasn’t meant for towing also, so maybe that had something to do with it. I think my tow weight was like 5200.

 

And donstar is correct, I was never disappointed, it did everything I asked of it .. and I put it through hell. I think the hp and tq numbers are similar to the old 4.8 v8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I went today to check out the truck and test drove it. I must admit, I am very impressed for the truck being the 4.3 V6. The two things that I wish my truck had are power windows and cruise control and this one has cruise control so that is a plus. Another disadvantage is I just dropped a thousand dollars on tires not too long ago and this truck is definitely going to need tires.  

 

However, the guy gave me the used car salesman routine and told me how the truck is not going to last long and going to stay firm on the price. I can see the truck being highly desirable to someone, but not considering it near that price.  The truck is already five years old if you count the year when it came from the factory.  Let me guys know what you think of the price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I paid $23,xxx for my regular cab 2016 4.3 v6 LS 4x4 new off the lot in Feb 2017.

 

I would say that dealer is a little high on the price.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave about $4K less than that for my 2015 RCSB 2WD V6 with a thousand miles on the clock. I know yours is a 4X4 but it also has 18K on the clock. Just saying. It is a pretty one. 

 

As far as the motor. It is quite powerful and driven and maintained well can get better than the EPA numbers although most people don't get even close. I've run 87 pump regular in mine for about 95,000 miles. Runs great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I gave about $4K less than that for my 2015 RCSB 2WD V6 with a thousand miles on the clock. I know yours is a 4X4 but it also has 18K on the clock. Just saying. It is a pretty one. 

 

As far as the motor. It is quite powerful and driven and maintained well can get better than the EPA numbers although most people don't get even close. I've run 87 pump regular in mine for about 95,000 miles. Runs great. 

So what do you guys think I should pay for it? To be honest, my ideal figure was right around $17,500 for it. If what you guys are saying is true then I should be able to get it for around that or even less? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not pay asking price. However, the dealership hasn't randomly affixed a price tag to this unit.  You can negotiate a better deal while still leaving them a healthy profit.  The truck you are considering also has a novelty and/or nostalgic appeal.  (Many of us "baby boomers" started off driving 6 cyl. regular cab pickups!)  This truck may sit on the lot for months due to its limited appeal or could be snapped up today because of this appeal.  I know that if I was in the region, it would be receiving my attention!    If you want it, and have the money, offer what it is worth to you. Negotiation is stressful and don't be afraid to walk away if they are being unreasonable. Walking away can also be an effective tool in your negotiations.  I would also use new tires as a final "seal the deal" offer.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Donstar said:

I would not pay asking price. However, the dealership hasn't randomly affixed a price tag to this unit.  You can negotiate a better deal while still leaving them a healthy profit.  The truck you are considering also has a novelty and/or nostalgic appeal.  (Many of us "baby boomers" started off driving 6 cyl. regular cab pickups!)  This truck may sit on the lot for months due to its limited appeal or could be snapped up today because of this appeal.  I know that if I was in the region, it would be receiving my attention!    If you want it, and have the money, offer what it is worth to you. Negotiation is stressful and don't be afraid to walk away if they are being unreasonable. Walking away can also be an effective tool in your negotiations.  I would also use new tires as a final "seal the deal" offer.  

Okay so do you have a figure that you think would be fair for the truck? The dealer that I talked to yesterday literally just called me and got pretty rude. I think he is thinking since I like the truck I am going to give them asking price. I asked him what he could do and he said we are at $23,000 which is what the asking price is. He said if I come in again they might take off a couple hundred but that is it. 

 

He is definitely a used cars salesman, when I mention better prices elsewhere he just goes back to the lifetime power train warranty which does not really turn me on too much in the first place. I have been told over and over again that they rarely ever come through on stuff like that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are in a significantly different market than me so I can only guess.    I assume you have looked for comparable trucks  online in your state.  My strategy/guess would be to offer 3k less than asking.  ($19,900)  Hopefully this will be treated as a serious offer and should result in a reasonable counter.  If the salesman refuses to present your offer to his manager, then I'd make an appointment to see the manager in person.  If your offer is taken seriously,  some negotiation should end you up in the middle for price ($21,400) and a new set of tires. (imo)   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had both the 4.3 and the 5.3 in a 2014 and 2016 respectively so both ECOtec motors.. I have a very strong preference for the 5.3, I had identical configurations and rear end ratios and I get/got the same MPG with my driving habits and areas of travel so the only difference for me was the $1000 up charge for checking the 5.3 box on the option list... Also whatever you pay now you'll get some of it back when you sell the truck, the market for V6 full size trucks outside of fleet use is not as strong as the V8 trucks... I would be very hard pressed to buy a V6 for a daily driver, it's just not enough power for me passing on the highway and forget about it with a trailer, that's just IMO + the driving situations I am in often warrant darn near full throttle down shift gotta move now type situations, there were many times up hill getting on the highway that the 4.3 damn near got me in a wreck because it just didn't have the beans to get up to 80 mph to merge..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Donstar said:

You are in a significantly different market than me so I can only guess.    I assume you have looked for comparable trucks  online in your state.  My strategy/guess would be to offer 3k less than asking.  ($19,900)  Hopefully this will be treated as a serious offer and should result in a reasonable counter.  If the salesman refuses to present your offer to his manager, then I'd make an appointment to see the manager in person.  If your offer is taken seriously,  some negotiation should end you up in the middle for price ($21,400) and a new set of tires. (imo)   

My father said to first make a deal with them and then ask them if they will swap out my wheels and tires. The tires on my current truck are almost brand new. I do not know if I want my same wheels though. I am thinking I would rather have the rims that have less than 20,000 miles on them. However, the tires on this truck are in pretty bad shape, I can see me replacing them in a year. So I am wondering if they will swap the tires and only the tires. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

I've had both the 4.3 and the 5.3 in a 2014 and 2016 respectively so both ECOtec motors.. I have a very strong preference for the 5.3, I had identical configurations and rear end ratios and I get/got the same MPG with my driving habits and areas of travel so the only difference for me was the $1000 up charge for checking the 5.3 box on the option list... Also whatever you pay now you'll get some of it back when you sell the truck, the market for V6 full size trucks outside of fleet use is not as strong as the V8 trucks... I would be very hard pressed to buy a V6 for a daily driver, it's just not enough power for me passing on the highway and forget about it with a trailer, that's just IMO + the driving situations I am in often warrant darn near full throttle down shift gotta move now type situations, there were many times up hill getting on the highway that the 4.3 damn near got me in a wreck because it just didn't have the beans to get up to 80 mph to merge..

Thanks for the input, the 5.3 V8 is definitely what I was hoping for. However, I took the 4.3 V6 out on the highway and it had no trouble accelerating whatsoever. It actually surprised me very much. 

Edited by Hexa Fox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.