Help Selecting New Silverado/Sierra?

Honestly I would wait at this point. If you're not brand loyal, wait for the 2020s to come out from the manufacturers to score a deal on a new leftover 19

Edited by Wayne3593
Spelling
  • Like 2

I know Im coming late to this thread, and the original truck listed is sold and listing removed, so not sure on mileage of that truck or options, but I will say within the last year I purchased a 2014 doublecab silverado LT and 2015 Sierra doublecab SLE.  Both 4.3 V6 4x4. Traded in my 07 5.3V8 silverado extended cab for the first one and I think the newer 4.3V6 can hold up against the older one.  These will go the our boys so I was not too worried about towing and more concerned about fuel economy (averaging 18-20 mpg when I drive them, mostly highway compared to the 13-14 mpg on my 2007).  No rust, no tears on interior.  Got them down to 21,xxx and 22,xxx respectively, each was listed at over 25G initially (both ended up being from local dealerships) and I am in the midwest.  I spent awhile researching and found way cheaper trucks in the NE area and would be willing to travel to pick it up if price was right, but I was worried about rust from those.  These are not my daily drivers, but I do drive them regularly to just keep them running and have not had any concerns about getting the V6 over a V8, able to commute on the highway and can easily cruise in the 80's with no struggle. If you do not need to tow capacity of the 5.3 or 6.2, I think you will be fine with the 4.3. also not sure why some are saying its difficult to change the oil, I just did it last month and I did not think there was any issue...

Just be patient and be willing to walk away, prices will continue to drop as more people transition to the T1 platform.  On the second one, the salesman and the manager were not budging from 24xxx so I told the manager no deal and shook his hand and was getting ready to leave.  Less than 30 seconds later, he came back and whispered he will meet me at 22 (I was at 21 but went in saying 22 is where I wanted to be at, I started at 19 knowing that I wouldnt get that lucky).

Edited by peterlawl84

2 hours ago, peterlawl84 said:

I know Im coming late to this thread, and the original truck listed is sold and listing removed, so not sure on mileage of that truck or options, but I will say within the last year I purchased a 2014 doublecab silverado LT and 2015 Sierra doublecab SLE.  Both 4.3 V6 4x4. Traded in my 07 5.3V8 silverado extended cab for the first one and I think the newer 4.3V6 can hold up against the older one.  These will go the our boys so I was not too worried about towing and more concerned about fuel economy (averaging 18-20 mpg when I drive them, mostly highway compared to the 13-14 mpg on my 2007).  No rust, no tears on interior.  Got them down to 21,xxx and 22,xxx respectively, each was listed at over 25G initially (both ended up being from local dealerships) and I am in the midwest.  I spent awhile researching and found way cheaper trucks in the NE area and would be willing to travel to pick it up if price was right, but I was worried about rust from those.  These are not my daily drivers, but I do drive them regularly to just keep them running and have not had any concerns about getting the V6 over a V8, able to commute on the highway and can easily cruise in the 80's with no struggle. If you do not need to tow capacity of the 5.3 or 6.2, I think you will be fine with the 4.3. also not sure why some are saying its difficult to change the oil, I just did it last month and I did not think there was any issue...

Just be patient and be willing to walk away, prices will continue to drop as more people transition to the T1 platform.  On the second one, the salesman and the manager were not budging from 24xxx so I told the manager no deal and shook his hand and was getting ready to leave.  Less than 30 seconds later, he came back and whispered he will meet me at 22 (I was at 21 but went in saying 22 is where I wanted to be at, I started at 19 knowing that I wouldnt get that lucky).

Thanks for the response. I still have some concerns about the 4.3 V6. No offense to you or anything, just it bothers me a little bit. I always told myself in the past "if I am going to have a truck, it will be a V8". Now that I have learned that the 4.3 V6 is one of the best on the market my opinion has changed some. I just do not like the idea of it backing off two cylinders to increase fuel economy. I have honestly been told to steer clear of them by more than one person. Again no offense to anyone, just it makes me nervous.

Anyway, if there is one thing I have learned from this thread, it is that prices definitely range from place to place. In my direct area, a 'fair' starting price for a 4.3 V6, 4x4 regular cab is about $30,000. Now I would imagine being able to get at least a couple thousand more off of that price. So prices definitely vary based on time and location. My concern with this truck is it is basically eight years old but has only 15,000 miles on it. I filled out one of his credit applications and now he is definitely interested in selling me a truck. I got 4.59% at 60 or 72 months and he already lowered the price. However, my family friend honestly told me he lowered it to $16,000 before he left the lot. If I could get this truck for $14,000 or even $15,000 I think it would be a done deal. I am going to easily sell my old truck privately for half that and a brand new truck would probably cost me double that. So in my mind it is a win.

I have been looking at a dealer that is about an hour away from me that frequently gets in regular cab trucks. I think they have in about half a dozen right now or more. It is also one of the places that I am getting my figures mentioned above from. Do you guys think since we are close to getting the 2020's in that they would be willing to drop prices to get rid of their stock or do you think it will take longer? 

2 hours ago, Hexa Fox said:

Thanks for the response. I still have some concerns about the 4.3 V6. No offense to you or anything, just it bothers me a little bit. I always told myself in the past "if I am going to have a truck, it will be a V8". Now that I have learned that the 4.3 V6 is one of the best on the market my opinion has changed some. I just do not like the idea of it backing off two cylinders to increase fuel economy. I have honestly been told to steer clear of them by more than one person. Again no offense to anyone, just it makes me nervous.

Anyway, if there is one thing I have learned from this thread, it is that prices definitely range from place to place. In my direct area, a 'fair' starting price for a 4.3 V6, 4x4 regular cab is about $30,000. Now I would imagine being able to get at least a couple thousand more off of that price. So prices definitely vary based on time and location. My concern with this truck is it is basically eight years old but has only 15,000 miles on it. I filled out one of his credit applications and now he is definitely interested in selling me a truck. I got 4.59% at 60 or 72 months and he already lowered the price. However, my family friend honestly told me he lowered it to $16,000 before he left the lot. If I could get this truck for $14,000 or even $15,000 I think it would be a done deal. I am going to easily sell my old truck privately for half that and a brand new truck would probably cost me double that. So in my mind it is a win.

I have been looking at a dealer that is about an hour away from me that frequently gets in regular cab trucks. I think they have in about half a dozen right now or more. It is also one of the places that I am getting my figures mentioned above from. Do you guys think since we are close to getting the 2020's in that they would be willing to drop prices to get rid of their stock or do you think it will take longer? 

no offense taken. I have always been a V8 guy since I got my LS1 TA years ago (and still have).  These are the first full size trucks/SUVs that I have gotten without a V8 (expedition, yukon, silverados in the past).

And honestly when I get the next truck (after the boys move out and I won't have access to a truck regularly), I will probably get a v8 as currently I am eyeing an AT4 and ill probably go 6.2 just because it will be more fun to drive.  But once again, it wouldnt be my daily so I would not worry about gas mileage.  But also on the cylinder deactivation for fuel economy...I believe the V8s also do this, not just the V6, but someone can correct me if I am wrong. (unless you are just talking about starting with a V6 instead of v8), but both engines drop to 4 cylinders when not needing extra power.

Im just saying, if you see a great deal and the only potential downside is the 4.3, it might not be that big of a difference if you had an older V8.  Now compared to the newer 5.3 or 6.2, yes, they are a step down, but they can hold their own to previous generations.

That being said, get what you want and if you think the price is worth it, then that is what matters. But don't be afraid to expand the search to a larger area as the internet has changed the game for car sales in favor of the customer I feel like.  Texas always has good deals and minimal body rust.  Its easy to hop on a 1 way flight and pick up a vehicle (i have done it for 4 so far).   When I was searching for the 2nd truck (trying to match the 1st one on options since we have twin boys and wanting to keep it similar), I found several 5.3V8 within $1000 of the v6, so deals can be found if you are patient and willing to look outside of your immediate vicinity. 

And yes, one concern I have about older vehicles with low miles is how long has it sat and what condition hoses are in as well.  If a dealership wouldnt let me take a vehicle to have a 3rd party inspect it, I would pass on it. 

Edited by peterlawl84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, peterlawl84 said:

no offense taken. I have always been a V8 guy since I got my LS1 TA years ago (and still have).  These are the first full size trucks/SUVs that I have gotten without a V8 (expedition, yukon, silverados in the past).

And honestly when I get the next truck (after the boys move out and I won't have access to a truck regularly), I will probably get a v8 as currently I am eyeing an AT4 and ill probably go 6.2 just because it will be more fun to drive.  But once again, it wouldnt be my daily so I would not worry about gas mileage.  But also on the cylinder deactivation for fuel economy...I believe the V8s also do this, not just the V6, but someone can correct me if I am wrong. (unless you are just talking about starting with a V6 instead of v8), but both engines drop to 4 cylinders when not needing extra power.

Im just saying, if you see a great deal and the only potential downside is the 4.3, it might not be that big of a difference if you had an older V8.  Now compared to the newer 5.3 or 6.2, yes, they are a step down, but they can hold their own to previous generations.

That being said, get what you want and if you think the price is worth it, then that is what matters. But don't be afraid to expand the search to a larger area as the internet has changed the game for car sales in favor of the customer I feel like.  Texas always has good deals and minimal body rust.  Its easy to hop on a 1 way flight and pick up a vehicle (i have done it for 4 so far).   When I was searching for the 2nd truck (trying to match the 1st one on options since we have twin boys and wanting to keep it similar), I found several 5.3V8 within $1000 of the v6, so deals can be found if you are patient and willing to look outside of your immediate vicinity. 

And yes, one concern I have about older vehicles with low miles is how long has it sat and what condition hoses are in as well.  If a dealership wouldnt let me take a vehicle to have a 3rd party inspect it, I would pass on it. 

Yeah I believe another user already mentioned it. I believe the 4.3 V6, 5.3 V8 and 6.2 V8 are all considered EcoTec now. Someone can correct me to but believe they all have two cylinders that can be deactivated when not needed to save fuel economy. What I forgot to mention is the recent truck that I posted is a 4.8 V8 which is exactly the same one I have now. I love the engine and is an extremely reliable engine. However, it gets worse gas mileage than the 5.3 V8 even before it became an EcoTec or whatever. I am certain I would get better mileage commuting with it, especially considering it has cruise control. 

Also not to knock the 4.3 V6 because when I test drove it I was surprised to say the least. I got the pedal down a couple times and it did accelerate really nicely. However, I cannot explain it, when I accelerate in the 4.8 V8 you can tell it is a V8 engine. I guess what I am saying is I could tell I was driving a V6 regardless of their ratios being very similar. 

So this dealer is approximately a two hour drive from me. So it is going to be difficult to get this one inspected by a third party before purchasing. Like I said a family friend mentioned it at a family reunion and since I was there I decided to check it out.  

For the record, the first truck that I mentioned would not let me get it inspected by a third party. It was very strange because they said we could discuss an "extended test drive" but did not want it in another shop. They told me that they would be more than happy to put it on a lift at their garage and allow me to look at it with one of their mechanics. She made excuses like "liability" and such. Like I mentioned before I am happy that they sold it so it is over. I have had bad experiences with this place in the past. Just they had a nice truck I was interested in so I considered doing business with them again. 

I honestly cannot believe what these salesmen will say to try and get you to buy. I literally said to the first one "I think you guys are asking too close to sticker price for this truck". He responded by saying "you are mistaken, sticker price on Silverados start at $40,000 minimum". I called him out on it, and as soon as he realized I was the slightest bit researched he was seriously done with me. 

Edited by Hexa Fox

I think it was a blessing then that someone else bought the truck, they are trying to hide something if they won't let you independently have the vehicle inspected.  

The V8's along with the V6's drop to V4 mode for cylinder deactivation for fuel economy.

Yea gas mileage on the older trucks is why I went with a K2 for the boys. Insurance is already going to be expensive enough for teenage boys!

Honestly I would like at new trucks as well as they can have some deep rebates, especially if its a car you plan to keep for awhile. 

I have purchased several vehicles from Laura Buick GMC outside of St. Louis, in Collinsville (called and negotiated and settled on price, put a small deposit down, flew out there and had them pick me up from airport and drove home that day).  They do a ton of internet and phone sales and pick-up customers from airport all the time from across the country.  They are usually #1 or 2 volume sales in US and their selection is a bit ridiculous if you ask me.  They have great deals and local dealerships in KC area usually can't get close to them.  We bought my wife's Enclave from Robert Brogden in Olathe, KS last year as they actually had a better price than the other dealership (although I was ready to make another trip to St. Louis for the Enclave if we didn't get a similar deal locally). 

If you are financing, you can get better rates with new car than used and that could offset the cost.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by peterlawl84
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/30/2019 at 7:15 AM, Wayne3593 said:

Honestly I would wait at this point. If you're not brand loyal, wait for the 2020s to come out from the manufacturers to score a deal on a new leftover 19

I hate to revive an older thread but this is definitely true. I already knew it was before you said anything but there are some Black Friday deals going on now that are pretty competitive. I have been looking at this truck for quite some time now and was about to pull the trigger. 

https://www.koonsclarksvillechevybuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Regular_Cab_Long_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_WT-Clarksville-MD/3465743023#close

It is still a great deal but I did not know that new Chevrolet's have a $1,500.00 destination fee. The truck went from $26,500 to $30,500 out the door. I settled on a 2017 GMC Sierra with exactly 15,000 miles on it for $27,000 out the door. I liked everything about the truck right from the start. So I saved a few thousand dollars buying used, got GM warranty and it is a 5.3 V8. It also already has as soft tonneau cover and spray in bed liner. That is something I would have definitely added so definitely a win win there.