GM Gears Up For Next Gen Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, and More

Gorehamj

I rented a 2018 "Suburban or equivalent" before buying one, which turned out to be the brand spanking new Ford Expedition Max. 

Totally unimpressed. There was so much body roll that it felt like it was going to tip over in turns. To be fair it was base suspension, but even a rental Suburban LT I drove with standard suspension felt more hooked up. Despite the impressive interior accommodations for 7-8 passengers and the sliding 2nd row seat, we were all shocked to see that there was only enough cargo space behind the 3rd row for about 5 people worth of luggage, if even that. My wife's 2012 BMW X5 that we were trading seriously had more cargo space. It wasn't even close. I couldn't believe it. The Suburban's cargo space is far superior, and nobody has complained about lack of space in any row, so the overall floorplan is much better with the GM's. The 3.5L EcoBoost had power, but it sounded terrible and had the personality of a blender. The 10-speed automatic seems great on paper, but in reality it skip shifts most of the time, but occasionally click-click-clicks through them one at a time, and jerking you in your seat a little on each one. Annoying. It just seemed over-engineered and kinda pointless compared to a solid 6 or 8-speed automatic. I would take the GM 10-speed (same thing) over their clunky 8-speed, but no complaints with the 6L80 in my Suburban.

Seen virtually ZERO of these new Fords or Lincolns on the road in the DC area. As nice as they look inside and out, it seems people are sticking with the GM's. If you need something this big, you need it to work for a larger number of people. I don't understand why Ford would design a large SUV that can seat 7-8 passengers, but barely even has enough luggage room for 5. Makes no sense, but I guess that's why they're advertising external cargo carriers right in their brochures. Then it begs the question, why would you want to get a huge SUV like this that still needs an external cargo carrier? And what parking garage would they even fit in with one attached (none)? LOL  

Anyways, we were all pretty shocked that a brand spanking new Ford large SUV would be so poorly thought out, to the point of numerous deal breakers. I mean, I could barely make a Costco run without folding down the 3rd row in the Ford Expedition "Max". WTF???? Had our 2018 Suburban for 10 months now and love it. Loading it up for the beach for a week, 5 pax plus a dog and we'll have plenty of space.