Tow/ Haul Mode Not Working

Hi guys, new here.

I've done some searching and haven't found really what I'm looking for.  I have a 2012 GMC Sierra Denali and the tow/haul mode does not work.  The light on the dash does not illuminate nor do the shift patterns change under load.  I did work until recently.

I have read about the orange wires breaking in the column on older models.  Does that still hold true for the 2012 models.  There isn't a lot info out there on the newer models.  I'd like some better knowledge before I just start taking apart things.  Is it easier to repair the wires if indeed that is the cause, or just replace shifter/switch?

Thanks for your input.

Most likely one of the  wires has broken where they twist due to the steering wheel moving. The easiest way is to bypass the normal button and put a momentary button somewhere else. The voltage/amps are low so doesn’t need to be a hefty switch. 

Well, I took some time yesterday after work and disassembled the steering column plastics.  I found the orange wire and sure enough it was broken.  So not only is this an issue on the older trucks, it's happening on some of the newer trucks too.  

• 2 years later...

Having same issue with my 2001 1500 silverado. Thought it was just the bulb and figured tow mode was still working, but I switched over to a remanned 2500 gauge cluster to get the tranny temp gauge and it still does not light up. Guess I will check the wire in the column. Shifter is pretty loose between gears, so I might swap that out when I go in. Don't want the dog knocking in out of gear! Hopefully that gets my tow mode back as I just bought a 8K Travel Trailer....

• 1 year later...

Broken Wire! Added in a small length of wire and put everything back together. Replaced the torn boot and shifter spring while I was in there. Works great again.