Engine swap questions

Ok guys just looking for some info I’ve got a 2018 Sierra and am looking to swap the 4.3 for a 6.2. Not wanting to do any huge power upgrades just a stock 6.2 so I can still use it daily. Does anybody know if the transmission that came in the truck will work with the 6.2 or what am I really getting in to here?

This may be a stupid question, but wouldn’t it be easier, cheaper, faster, more safer, etc to just trade/sell the 4.3 and get a 6.2??

Trucks these days aren’t like the 80s where you just drop in another bigger engine and everything works. There’s too much electronics and wiring that would have to be altered.

Seems like a crazy task, but hey, more power to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be done of course. But it will cost you more do it than it would to sell the truck and buy one with the engine you want. It sounds like the 6.2L will be available nearly across the board for the 2020 model year. If  you have a RCSB, I would hold out to see if you can get a 2020 RCSB with a 6.2L. Your not just swapping the engine, I would assume the ECM would need to be changed or at least reprogrammed. You might have to find a donor 2014 6.2L/6L80e TCM to control the transmission, as that was the only year you could get a 6.2L bolted to a 6L80e. If you can do the work yourself it is probably feasible, but if not you will have $15-20k into that swap by the time your done. And if you do go that route get and LT1 instead of the L86. My advise is keep it V6 and wait for GM to drop info on the 2020's, we will know more shortly. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain

I’ve done a few mods. A few years back I was getting ready to do a 2 door Tahoe. Beef up the trans stroke and S/C etc. My wife a smart chic suggested go through EBay. Long story short eight years later I’m still playing with the 92 I paid just 7500$ for. The truck has just over 100K miles. It has everything and then some of what I was going to go to the Tahoe, for a little more than the engine mods and S/C would have cost. All I’ve done is general maintenance. My point list and price you’re mods, the go on a site like EBay check out what’s there. I couldn’t have built the Tahoe for what a paid for a completed project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be done of course. But it will cost you more do it than it would to sell the truck and buy one with the engine you want. It sounds like the 6.2L will be available nearly across the board for the 2020 model year. If  you have a RCSB, I would hold out to see if you can get a 2020 RCSB with a 6.2L. Your not just swapping the engine, I would assume the ECM would need to be changed or at least reprogrammed. You might have to find a donor 2014 6.2L/6L80e TCM to control the transmission, as that was the only year you could get a 6.2L bolted to a 6L80e. If you can do the work yourself it is probably feasible, but if not you will have $15-20k into that swap by the time your done. And if you do go that route get and LT1 instead of the L86. My advise is keep it V6 and wait for GM to drop info on the 2020's, we will know more shortly. 
Where did you read that the 6.2 will be available in the RCSB? I definitely want to read that, I've always hoped that we could the 6.2 in a regular cab.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 7/26/2019 at 9:05 PM, SirenRed16 said:

Where did you read that the 6.2 will be available in the RCSB? I definitely want to read that, I've always hoped that we could the 6.2 in a regular cab.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wish that was true but GM will never do it because it makes to much sense. They wouldn't even make the 2000's SS trucks with the 6.0 in a regular cab. My buddy just bought a 2019 F150 reg cab 5.0 10 speed 3:73 gears and that thing rips.