22 hours ago, Wiggums said:

RST owners were the only ones who had that issue, not the others. That was why I asked.

Mine was so bad it went sideways and I wasn't accelerating or braking. The back end had no traction and was wildly flailing back and forth.

My first incident was on a regular road that was caked in mud and I nearly hit a guy on the sidewalk. That was about a year ago when we had the floods and mud came from the nearby hills.

I'd have to point out that kind of ripple was not common, it has to be at the right rhythm for that to happen.

I drive on the dirt road to the ranch every day and I have run into that issue quite a few times. The Cheyenne RST is not a truck I'd want to be driving on the dirt road even at 30 mph (if it is straight, smooth, with excellent visibility). I have driven all the other 4x4's much faster than that and all handled better. I don't even drive it anymore, it has been sitting there for the past six months.

yes know the feeling well my 2019 LT would do the exact same thing the 2020 not so much. I was told the springs were re worked in 20 to help with this issue.

Edited by ILSilverado

16 minutes ago, ILSilverado said:

yes know the feeling well my 2019 LT would do the exact same thing the 2020 not so much. I was told the springs were re worked in 20 to help with this issue.

I hope so because others got rid of it by changing shocks. The front end stayed firm to the ground though which was good. The other 4x4's I've driven, all wheels occasionally lost traction at higher speeds which is perfectly normal. The RST I have.. just the back end flailing wildly even if I wasn't accelerating or braking which made it a safety issue. That was definitely not normal and it is because of that I don't drive it anymore.

Update with my sons RWD 2020 RST, He lifted his truck with SuperLifts 3 inch kit which includes rear Bilsteins shocks. And it has fixed the issue with his truck, he states a night and day difference for the better.

2CDF2014-CDFF-4FD9-8A3D-A1530F153A49_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Inside Man

I disagree that in the 2020 Silverado they fixed the issue.

I have a Custom that will stray sideways over bumpy, potholed roads that are I commonly travel in Downeast Maine.

And yes, I am an experienced 4X4 driver. Slowing down to what seems a crawl is my solution. Haven't tried any weight in the rear or the possibility of changing out the stock shocks. Unsure what shock option would be for a Custom model. Any advice would be helpful.

Scared for my wife if she encounters rough roads.

• 2 months later...

I am having the exact problem in my 2020 1500 RST RWD crew cab. Just got the call from the dealer when I took it in. they said they do not know what I was talking about and could not replicate it during the test drive. mind you they only drove 6 miles at 40mph. they said it is because the bed is empty and that it is lighter. I agree that the bed is lighter, but of all of the other chevy's I have owned...I have never had the rear end swing, unless it was on a wet road or in sand and i did it on purpose. is upgrading the shocks really the best way to fix this, other than putting 200-300lbs of weigh in the bed?  seems like this is a design flaw and a potential liability. I have though I was gonna roll over a couple of times when it happened to me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 6:55 PM, Stevejfy said:

My truck also bounces excessively.  So much so  that one time on I-70 near Denver I had to correct the sideways bounce of the truck.  I can go to the rear bumper and bounce it up and down and when I release my hands from the bumper the truck will bounce 3+ times.  I heard many years ago that if over 1 1/2 times you need new shocks.   When i apply the brakes to a hard stop at 10 mph the truck bounces several times.   I feel it is unsafe.  My truck has 4000 miles on it, if it had 60000 I'd be replacing the shocks with heavy duty shocks.  I have an appointment next week with a local dealer but have little faith that anything will come of it.  

Does anyone know the proper way to test shocks on your truck? I think mine are blown, and the truck only has 3000 km on it. 2019 z71...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 8:38 PM, BurnsMax said:

I went with Bilstein 5100 series.  Won't look back.  The stock shocks suck.  They don't handle well over bumps at all, I felt completely unsafe.  The Bilsteins don't do that

agreed

On 8/8/2020 at 12:02 AM, Jeb1300 said:

agreed

On 7/28/2020 at 10:38 PM, BurnsMax said:

I went with Bilstein 5100 series.  Won't look back.  The stock shocks suck.  They don't handle well over bumps at all, I felt completely unsafe.  The Bilsteins don't do that

Did you guys do all 4 shocks or just the rear?

52 minutes ago, Stjnes said:

Did you guys do all 4 shocks or just the rear?

I did just the rears for now. I have the fronts, but I'm waiting for my mechanic to get back to do those.  I don't have the tools to remove the spring.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:15 AM, rmkmb said:

It feels like the shocks are too stiff and don't have time to dampen.

Interesting to see if a shock swap will help this situation

Bingo!

(sort of)

Car shocks, for the most part, are valved 'progressively', some are more linear. (Sports cars) Truck shocks are valved 'digressive' which makes them stable under peak loads. (Pogo and sway) Over dampen empty.

Digressive = high dampening rates at low displacement velocities. Rough on the small stuff empty

Progressive = low damping rates at low displacement velocities.  Smooth on the small stuff at capacity

Linear valving falls in between

I know of zero progressively valved shocks for half ton pickups.

King and FOX 2.5 are linear. 

Bilstein helps because they are less digressive but still digressive. A half measure that is noticeable. Linear would be another full step towards comfort and sacrifices little in hauling/towing. 

True, stiff springs don't help but are the minor in this equation. 

Adding weight to the bed has the same effect as moving valving toward linear. Leaf springs are progressive in rate, unlike MOST coils. Adding weight to a leaf INCREASES wheel rate. It does not make them softer. 

:rant:

• 2 months later...

My 2020 RST 4x4 was absolutely horrible on rough roads. I have owned 4x4 trucks, jeeps, and suvs. It was without a doubt the worst on rough highways and washboard gravel roads. I understand completely the argument that "its a truck", but compared to other 1/2 ton 4x4 trucks that I've personally owned and driven  lot, it was bad. I came very close to putting it in a ditch on a road I drive everyday. Or I shoud say, it almost put itself in the ditch.. 

The other issue was the failure to start issue that many on this forum have experienced. After waiting a month for an ecm, I decided to trade it. I really hated to. I absolutely love the looks of the truck, but.. I can't say that I miss it.

Good luck to yall. This forum is a valuable source of info on these trucks. Hopefully yall will get the issue worked out.

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Smiley956 said:

Just but a 2022 silverado ltz package and the think feels horrible when I pass thru a bridge bump witch aren't even bad have more vehicles and they don't loose control like this truck I'm very disappointed 

Truck is not loaded and is still running rear tire pressure at the placard pressure on the doorpost?

My 19 Custom was TERRIBLE on bumps. Especially so when cornering and hitting bumps. Bilsteins took care of that. Until the upgrade, I honestly felt unsafe driving my brand new truck. And I'm NOT a dramatic person

Everyone complains about the Rancho shocks, but my current 21 RST Z71 feels MUCH more planted then my (stock) Custom did. Maybe things will change with a little more wear, but I haven't once felt unsafe in this truck. 

Edited by Method2Madness