2020 2500 6.6L gas. How does it drive/compare?

I have a 6.slow.   I love it, but I'm certain the 6.6 gasser would absolutely own it.  I'm pretty confident mine will still be going slow and getting crappy fuel economy 20 years from now, I hope the new 6.6 is even better in every conceivable way!

22 minutes ago, i82much said:

I have a 6.slow.   I love it, but I'm certain the 6.6 gasser would absolutely own it.  I'm pretty confident mine will still be going slow and getting crappy fuel economy 20 years from now, I hope the new 6.6 is even better in every conceivable way!

Same here.  Just bought my 2019 GMC 2500 6.0 last month.  I had owned a 2015 6.0 also, and really liked it.  Once the 6.6L has a proven long term track record like the 6.0, I will be interested.  I happen to like the pre 2020 styling better and decided to get a deal on a 2019.  I do hope the 6.6 turns out to be a great engine - but it seems like the 6 speed with 3.73 gearing will be  working against it.

I imagine there will be revisions to the powertrain along the way - and I am interested to see how it turns out.

• Like 1

Nice find, Mike. Looks like it moves pretty well for something that size and weight. 

I agree that the outgoing 6.0L is time-proven reliable. I hope that this new engine does well, but I’m leery of direct injection.

13 hours ago, Sierra Boy said:

Are 4:10 an option or 3:73 is it in the HD 2020?

Sierra Boy

Give it some time (for your warranty to run out) and then swap it with an aftermarket 4:10 ring & pinion set... along with an Eaton TrueTrac in both the rear and front differentials.

Remember, just because certain options are limited from the factory it doesn't mean they can't be changed later (yes I get that it's an additional cost, but at least you have options).