Lifter noise and oil pump replacement

Thanks for the encouraging word; all I need now are some deer, antelope, and some clear skies! If you get the reference please let me know!

My weekend work was hijacked by new sheet goods in the front bath room. "Sheet goods" are roll vinyl flooring for you that might not know; but I do know for certain all you guys out there with a wife understand what a hijacked weekend means.

I'll try again to do do those inspections on the heads this week.

Edited by dna9656
spelling

On 8/9/2019 at 7:50 AM, txab said:

Just because you have 706 heads, doesn't mean they are doomed to fail. I've got a set with over 200k on them with no issues. At work, we ran GMT800s into the ground with over 300k on them without a 706 failure. So it's the luck of the draw.

Since you driver side is clean, check the passenger side to be sure, but if you're not consuming coolant, I'd say your safe.

If you have a coolant leak into the oil, then yes damage can be done by ruining bearings etc......

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/127919-castech-head-replacement-pics/

Correction: I replaced ONE rocker on the #1 cylinder and both rockers on the #7 cylinder. It was a while ago. I have a full set of new Melling rockers I'm curious; should I replace them all while I'm in here? I think so, I'm not returning them to rock auto and otherwise would go to waste.

Edited by dna9656

OK I did the inspection. For some reason I can't post pics here from a url. I copied the URL deleted the ends and pasted the http// and so on, result: no pics.

No sign of water under the valve covers. I do not have the CASTEC heads. Replaced all rockers on driver's side this evening, will do other side tomorrow and put the plugs back in and hook up the coils without installing the valve covers. i will let it get warm and see if I have a loose rocker. I bought a new torque wrench last Sunday, a Kolbalt brand at Lowe's; 20 to 100 ft lbs i beleive. it has a ONE year warranty while the comparable Craftsman has a 90 day warranty. The Kobalt has a collar on the handle that is the lock it's  much like a quick disconnect on your air hose. It always locked unless you pull the collar back to change the setting, The wrench has a very nice, professional feel to it. Comes with a case and instructions. Very Nice.

Edited by dna9656

I replaced ALL the lifters, still got that GD clack. Well I guess I'll live with it. I know that it isn't the rockers. Tomorrow I'll pick up the new valve cover gaskets and grommets, install them and call it good until they (the powers that be at my job) put me in a non-pay status and if the weather is good I'll go ahead and replace the oil pump, timing chain and T-chain cover, the oil pick up tube, water pump, power steering hoses, and what ever else I find that is FUBAR.