Whipple vs. Procharger & Other Poll

Whipple vs. Pro Charger  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Help me decide which super charger to go with. I know you all are going to say "it depends on your life style and what you want to do with it". 

So my answer to that is: I use this truck as my daily driver and plan on purchasing a boat and camping trailer if not this year, by definitely next. I am really leaning towards the Whimpple, but I keep hearing how they run hotter than the Procharger and for towing that is a big concern to me. The only reason I'm not really picking the Procharger is you don't get the boost till you get on it and I'm all about instant gratification. lol

I appreciate everyone who participates.

Edited by jogutier

Where is the check box for turbo?
It is better in every way but low end torque but simple ways around that.
Pro charger is a little better. And why do you say it isn't instant? It is same as whipple. There is a BOV much like the bypass in the whipple. Yes it is to atmosphere but a good size head unit moves enough air to not see the difference. You could even set up the bov many ways and up the boost with the pulley then bleed of air.

Better if you state the power you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Maybe its the sites I have visited, but I did verify this with Procharger.com. They said it themselves that power under their pro charger isn't instant like the whimpple, something to do with the power needing to be produced or something. I need something for towing, being that I plan on pulling a boat and trailer hopefully by early next year. Of coarse not at the same time either. lol

Good power to me would between 450+ RWHP with higher torque.

Edited by jogutier

Correction: pro charger has a slant of power as oppose to the whimpple has a flat line begining around 2800 rpms. Is what they explained. 

I would think that I need all of that in the begining stages of towing as oppose to when you already build momentum with the load. 

Doesnt much matter. Go turbo and tune the trans. Make 550rwhp and never think about the power curve. Also as you said less heat and much less engine drag. You could go little smaller on the turbo and get into boost faster. Or add a converter with the money you save. 

Better gas mileage when you stay out of boost. 

Much easier to work on if needed. With boost controller you set boost high or low based on use or who is driving 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Doesnt much matter. Go turbo and tune the trans. Make 550rwhp and never think about the power curve. Also as you said less heat and much less engine drag. You could go little smaller on the turbo and get into boost faster. Or add a converter with the money you save. 

Better gas mileage when you stay out of boost. 

Much easier to work on if needed. With boost controller you set boost high or low based on use or who is driving 

What's crazy, is that the tuner i'm using right now (hypertech) has really woken up my 5.3l and trans. but I still need more low end torque. 

I can probably go back to the drawing board but I hear alot of good things for the whipple. 

But won't a whipple build 10 pounds of boost lets say as soon as you step on the throttle and the by pass valve closes.

Where Procharger builds boost as the RPMs go up.  I though most don't build more than 3 or 4 pounds until 3,000 rpms.  which is useless when it comes to towing.  I would want to have boost available 1800 rpms or so.

Turbo would be the biggest HP but your still waiting on boost to build.  I love turbo's but for my heavy tow pig with 33" tires,  I think I'm going to go with PD charger.  

• Like 1

You need to dump that Hypertech and get a real program like HP tuners or EFIlive and let a real tuner adjust your tune.

Look at this thread the guy went from 14.5 with a Diablo to 13.6 with HPtuner and a real tuner.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/simple-2018-black-edition-553595/

That Hypertech is useless any way if your going to boost it.

• Like 1

So it is all about the rpm vs boost. So the whipple is spinning faster at same rpm or moving more air then they bypass it so it can idle. You can do the same on a pro charger. With a converter to can pick your stall speed. So you can "jump" right to the power.
The supercharger again is rpm based the turbo is more of a load based. The turbo likes the longer gears to stay in power band longer.
The turbo is just more efficient less engine lose to drive it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

So it is all about the rpm vs boost. So the whipple is spinning faster at same rpm or moving more air then they bypass it so it can idle. You can do the same on a pro charger. With a converter to can pick your stall speed. So you can "jump" right to the power.
The supercharger again is rpm based the turbo is more of a load based. The turbo likes the longer gears to stay in power band longer.
The turbo is just more efficient less engine lose to drive it.

The more I read, it might be nice to not always have all the HP and torque at first step. I'm starting to like the idea of needing to rev up the motor to get the boost to kick in like the pro charger does. An the fact the it allows the engine to run cooler is a plus, cause I do drive my truck long distances with 33x12.5 MTs. 

Edited by jogutier

Right and say 2000rpm is not a big deal stall you truck and see how much throttle the truck needs to move. Or how far off idle to move. 1200 to 2000rpm is off throttle power and if you look in the speed,rpm, and demand tables for the trans. You will see the truck shifts many times down low in pedal demmand is low. So most of the time this will not matter.
Start looking into boost control. There is manual controllers and the way to electric and even co2. You can even run off the spring.
Maybe more then you want to do but you can even run a wastegate or a bypass. Pro charger had this option. Then as I said have a smaller pulley and bypass air.
With a turbo you have that option anyways.

46 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Right and say 2000rpm is not a big deal stall you truck and see how much throttle the truck needs to move. Or how far off idle to move. 1200 to 2000rpm is off throttle power and if you look in the speed,rpm, and demand tables for the trans. You will see the truck shifts many times down low in pedal demmand is low. So most of the time this will not matter.
Start looking into boost control. There is manual controllers and the way to electric and even co2. You can even run off the spring.
Maybe more then you want to do but you can even run a wastegate or a bypass. Pro charger had this option. Then as I said have a smaller pulley and bypass air.
With a turbo you have that option anyways.

I'm definitely leaning towards the pro charger side, but my new road block is who is going to install it. I have some shady shops around and they are talking about each other. lol

I'm thinking a buddy and me can knock it out as oppose to paying $1500 to $2k for the install. That is just crazy. smh

Edited by jogutier