Tailgate switch operation?

I just looked a little online and didn't find anything and I don't have my owners manuel with me right now.  I tried putting the tailgate up when I got in the truck this morning and the switch didn't do anything, just beeped.  Is there a trick to get it to go up with the switch on the center console?  Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

10 hours ago, Cool J said:

You have to hold down on the center stack in the cab until the tailgate is completely closed. You will hear chimes and tail lights will blink during the closing.

Ok thank you.  I tried holding it down but only for a second or two.  I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Another thing I found, the power up with the key fob is the same way. Press the button twice and hold it on the second press until it's up.

People have asked about if it fails, dead battery, etc. I'd venture it's a very similar system that's been used in power liftgates for years. Should be pretty reliable, I hope.

Fob requires press, then press and hold til it closes.

Stack button is press and hold til closes. 

For both, if released before fully closed it will beep and re-open.

For the dash button a chime will sound when fully closed. 

For the button on the tailgate - press and release.

A chime sounds and the tail lamps flash during the closing operation.
If the warning chime is not functioning, the tailgate will not power close. Power opening is still
enabled. 

Manually lifting part way  from open and stopping will also engage the power close. 

If lifted more than 1/2 way power close will not take over.

Touching the tailgate pad during power operation will stop power operation and allow it to be manually operated. 

Probably there are more tricks....

Tried it today and it worked as described.  Thanks for the help on such a simple thing.  I guess I was a little too impatient and didn't hold it long enough and also I didn't know you had to hold it on the second click on the fob so that is good info.   I'm assuming there is no way to open the tailgate if something malfunctions on the truck?

9 hours ago, bharris515 said:

random question but I am assuming this is just on the Chevys right? GMC's do not power let up do they?

9 hours ago, bharris515 said:

random question but I am assuming this is just on the Chevys right? GMC's do not power let up do they?

Correct. The GMC is only power release. I would think they’d have power close within a few years. Might have to beef up the internals, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 10:21 PM, ShotgunZ71 said:

Correct. The GMC is only power release. I would think they’d have power close within a few years. Might have to beef up the internals, though.

I would assume that the reason is because of all the additional parts in the multiple tailgate taking up the space where the motor would be to lift the gate. Plus the cavity that is there by default for the Kicker sound system that can be added.