Radio Unlock

I bought an old 2000 Silverado 1500, and was able to successfully unlock the radio using the normal procedure found online (https://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/15/how-to-unlock-a-chevrolet-theftlock-radio/)

If your radio is locked, “LOC” is displayed on the screen.

Step 1: Press buttons 2 and 3 at the same time and hold for 8-10 seconds. Write down the three-digit code that is displayed.

Step 2: Immediately press the AM/FM button. Another three-digit code is displayed. Write it down as well.

This is your six-digit radio serial number.

Step 3: From any landline or cell phone, call the toll-free GM Radio hotline at 1(800) 537-5140.

Step 4: When it requests a code, enter “106010” on the keypad, followed by the pound (#) sign.

Step 5: You will be prompted to enter the radio serial number you have just obtained.
		At the prompt, enter the number followed by the pound sign.

Step 6: The prompt will read out your four-digit radio unlock code. Write it down precisely.

Step 7: Turn your ignition on and press the radio power button. Your radio will display “LOC.”

Step 8: Press the hour button on the radio to enter the first two numbers of your radio unlock code.

Step 9: Press the minute button until the last two numbers of the radio unlock code are displayed.

Step 10: Confirm the code. When the code matches, press the AM/FM button. “SEC” will display on the radio, indicating a successful attempt to enter your radio code.

I had to disconnect the battery to do some repairs, so of course the radio locked again. Now when I try calling the radio unlock number ((800) 537-5140) I just get disconnected, or told the call couldn't be completed. Can anyone else test that phone number, or suggest another way to unlock the radio?

Worst case scenario I'll throw an aftermarket radio in, but I'd like to keep the price down as much as possible. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's nice that this site you mentioned will let you text them your challenge code and they will let you know if they can help you. $20 is steep since we don't know if the donor radio works.

It's a good deal of you have a high line radio you know works and paid very little for.

Thanks for the refence.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

According to my dealership Denny Menholt Chevrolet as of 2018 the number hotline does not exist anymore service can only be done by a dealer.  You will need to bring your vehicle to your manufacture dealership of your make say Chevy or GM or whatever.  They will not charge any fees for them to give you the 4 digit master code.  They only charge you if you want them to do it for you.  For a Chevorlet 2001 Chevy Blazer the codes are 642 - 652 - 106010 (Chevrolet).  Once you have all of this go to the service center and they will give you the code.  Mine was 0150.  Since their is no zero.  just the last 3 numbers worked.  Using the minute key to 50 and hour to 1 press am/fm button to confirm.  Boom.  Stereo now works.

Edited by Pasquale D'Anna

• 3 years later...

Obtaining a special unlock code from Chevrolet or a dealership is normally required to unlock the radio on a Chevy Silverado. Visit the official Chevrolet website or get in touch with the service division of a nearby Chevrolet dealership. Give them the serial number of the radio and the VIN (vehicle identification number) of your car. The driver's side door frame or windshield are typically where the VIN can be found. They will confirm that you are the owner and obtain the proper unlock code for your radio.