Locking Lug Nuts

Whatever you go with, make sure that they are the right length. Prior to me buying my 16 Silverado, the dealer had installed McGard locking lug nuts. On 3 separate occasions, the center "star" would break off exposing the tip of the stud. On each occasion, I would order a replacement directly from McGard. I had previously registered the lug nuts online with McGard using the card I had received with the locking lug nut part number and pretty sure the info of my Silverado. After it happened the third time, instead of ordering online, I called up their customer service to complain. It was then told to me that I had the wrong locking lug nuts for my vehicle and they gave me the correct part number for ones that were slightly longer. I was so frustrated that I just took the locking lug nuts off and am using stock lug nuts on all the studs.

39 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

Whatever you go with, make sure that they are the right length. Prior to me buying my 16 Silverado, the dealer had installed McGard locking lug nuts. On 3 separate occasions, the center "star" would break off exposing the tip of the stud. On each occasion, I would order a replacement directly from McGard. I had previously registered the lug nuts online with McGard using the card I had received with the locking lug nut part number and pretty sure the info of my Silverado. After it happened the third time, instead of ordering online, I called up their customer service to complain. It was then told to me that I had the wrong locking lug nuts for my vehicle and they gave me the correct part number for ones that were slightly longer. I was so frustrated that I just took the locking lug nuts off and am using stock lug nuts on all the studs.

Man that sounds like a PITA. What length/specs do I need? I'm pretty much stock specs with my wheels

15 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Man that sounds like a PITA. What length/specs do I need? I'm pretty much stock specs with my wheels

A GM replica wheel should take the GM locks no issue I would imagine.  They are made by mcgard for GM.  GM number is 9599493.  You can also get the lock and lug sets too, chrome are 12451945, black are 84332438.  I have the 12451945 chrome set on my GM OEM accessory wheels.  Really nice quality lug set.  The full lock/lug sets come in a nice cardboard box with foam inserts that have 24 holes for each individual lug to sit in.   

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, newdude said:

A GM replica wheel should take the GM locks no issue I would imagine.  They are made by mcgard for GM.  GM number is 9599493.  You can also get the lock and lug sets too, chrome are 12451945, black are 84332438.  I have the 12451945 chrome set on my GM OEM accessory wheels.  Really nice quality lug set.  The full lock/lug sets come in a nice cardboard box with foam inserts that have 24 holes for each individual lug to sit in.   

Wow, they're a bit pricey. They do look quality though. Do they offer anything over a similar $50 off brand set?

The dealership were idiots. The locks they put on were GM Part#92221880. https://www.gmpartshouse.com/oem-parts/gm-wheel-lock-kit-92221880

I assumed that a Chevy dealer would put on the proper locking lug nuts and never gave it a second thought. Obviously they werent paying attention and just put on whatever they had available.

Also just to add, I became fully aware many years ago and several 4wd vehicles ago that proper lug torque is very important and failure to follow that can result in rotors warping. I just had to have new rotors put on as I was getting brake pulsing and only had about 36k miles on my Silverado. There was still plenty of pad left and I shouldn't have needed this done for many more miles. I ended up needing 2 new rotors to solve this. I blame the dealership for putting the wrong GM/McGard locking lug nuts on as it would have been impossible to have the locking lug nuts fully seated and torqued as they were too short. But proving this would have been another thing. I sucked it up and just had it done and now have regular lug nuts on all the studs and have made sure that they are all torqued down properly...

• Like 1

These are the ones I purchased for my '17. I've had them since Feb '18 and they work great and have not had any issues. The link I am providing show they are not available, but I am sure you can find them from another seller. I paid $26 for the set of 24. I am using Fuel wheels with these lug nuts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JW6VPH/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Korazu said:

These are the ones I purchased for my '17. I've had them since Feb '18 and they work great and have not had any issues. The link I am providing show they are not available, but I am sure you can find them from another seller. I paid $26 for the set of 24. I am using Fuel wheels with these lug nuts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JW6VPH/

It says they will not fit on factory wheels? I'll have to check them out..