Diesel without options or gas with all the options

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:24 PM, GMC Sierra 34 said:

The new duramax is running a 10 speed so I would think if they have faith in it to be used for that platform it would be fine for gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So back of the envelope....GM sells 136K HD's per anum.  Take rate would be 30% Diesel so 40K.  You see that 10speed is engineered to Allison Spec's in house and all associated costs are wrapped into the almost 10K price bump on D-Max engine.  GM has "FLEET" customers who buy routinely and not like your "CooL" guy in high rent district look at my HD jacked up D-Max.  Fleet buys gassers!  These customers get added discounts on volume purchases like I said, "GM is not going to have unproven 10speed" sold to these customers.  After the initial 1/2 ton 10speed production run spins off "CASH" GM will take the current 1/2 tons and reconfigure it to handle HD duties.  Might even take 2 model years.  So if you want "innovation" go get you a 10speed in FERD'S HD's or wait for something proven in GM's

I'll take the SLE diesel.  The more electronic gadgetry added, the more potential problems down the road.  One failing sensor can take a lot with it.  And in my own preference, I'll take cloth over leather every time.

based on the OP question.... gas with more options.  A lot better overall value.  And given that the diesel emissions delete days have come to a close, the gasser probably will hold its value as well or maybe better in comparison to the diesel variant.   Only those that really need serious pulling power on a daily basis would really benefit from the diesel.  And that is only a fraction of buyers.  Heck, there  are many 2500/3500 pickups that never pull a trailer once.  And of those that do tow, as the frequency of towing goes up, the percentage of pickups doing it goes down.

I rarely tow with my 2500, and when I do tow it is usually less than 7000 lb.  But I do haul a lot more than I tow.  And I have a lot more payload available with a gasser than I would with a diesel.  So for me, it is a simple solution.  And the new 6.6L L8T gasser makes it even an easier choice than ever before.   My 2015 2500 6.0 managed to pull my stuck 20,000 lb semi tractor two miles thru the mud on our nasty spring thaw hilly gravel road last spring to the nearest hard surface road, and did it exceptionally well.  So what would be the benefit of a diesel doing it?

Sure, the gasser will get lower mpg, but the fuel costs less also. So in reality as prices fluctuate, the actual cost per mile for fuel will end up being  a wash between gas and diesel.  It might feel better to see higher mpg with a diesel, but probably not saving anything in the process.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1