OEM bumper vs Aftermarket OEM replacement

I know generally people on this forum are fans of oem products (I am too for the most part), but what are your opinions on an OEM bumper vs an OEM replacement?

I have a 18’ LT that didn’t come with fog lights and I want to add them, but doing do requires a new bumper with the fog light slots. 

The average price a few dealers quoted me was around $750-$800. I found two OEM replacements. One is on carid.com for around $650 shipped and one is on good old ebay for around $450 shipped. The ebay seller seems reputable with a solid feedback history and rating. I would think if he were selling low quality junk that it would have shown eventually after thousands of feedback ratings.. but I’m still hesistant.

Is there anything special about a chrome OEM bumper vs my other options? Difference in chrome quality (if that even is a thing)?

I’ve been the type of person that prefers to buy OEM when possible, for peace of mind, but $800 is just a bit more than I can drop right now..

https://www.carid.com/replace/front-bumper-face-bar-mpn-gm1002861dsc.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Chrome-Steel-Front-Bumper-Face-Bar-for-2016-2018-Chevy-Silverado-1500-w-Fog/283625687114?hash=item420968884a:g:EcMAAOSwV7JdjNbr

I'd be calling the local junk yards looking for the front bumper off a rear-ended truck. Then you can get an original OEM bumper, possibly with the fog lights still in it, for a better price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If on a budget, look for a used or new OEM factory bumper. If you’re interested in heavy duty along with the reliability of an aftermarket aluminum bumper then I’d seek out the large amount of aftermarket manufacturers out there.

If I was you and didn’t have a lift (don’t know if you do or don’t) on my truck, I’d stick with the used or new factory OEM bumper cause most aftermarket replacements drop a bit lower up front and are a bit bulkier than stock oem which personally, I’d avoid!

Sent from Above

14 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

If on a budget, look for a used or new OEM factory bumper. If you’re interested in heavy duty along with the reliability of an aftermarket aluminum bumper then I’d seek out the large amount of aftermarket manufacturers out there.

If I was you and didn’t have a lift (don’t know if you do or don’t) on my truck, I’d stick with the used or new factory OEM bumper cause most aftermarket replacements drop a bit lower up front and are a bit bulkier than stock oem which personally, I’d avoid!

Sent from Above

Oh really? I didn’t know that aftermarket OEM replacements varied in the dimensions? It said that they “‘matched” all OEM specs..

Oh really? I didn’t know that aftermarket OEM replacements varied in the dimensions? It said that they “‘matched” all OEM specs..

Absolutely, they match the attachment specs but aftermarket bumpers come in all shapes and sizes

Sent from Above

Maybe I lost you or you lost me, Factory OEM bumpers is what you’re looking for, aftermarket OEM bumpers come in different sizes but “WILL” bolt up to factory specs

Sent from Above

10 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Maybe I lost you or you lost me, Factory OEM bumpers is what you’re looking for, aftermarket OEM bumpers come in different sizes but “WILL” bolt up to factory specs

Sent from Above

Gotcha, I meant OEM replacements that look exactly like originally OEM bumpers. Like the ones in the links above.

• Like 1

Gotcha, I meant OEM replacements that look exactly like originally OEM bumpers. Like the ones in the links above.

I gotcha, try getting a price on an aftermarket 4x4 bumper, one made out of aluminum may or may not work for you. Chrome easily dents and will rust. The aluminum 4x4 after market bumpers allow lots of upgrades like additional led pods/bars and even winches but, if you’re like me, I like the stock simple look. Call dealerships, body shops even online sites, Craig’s, all classified newspapers and you may just get lucky.

Good luck and sorry about the confusion.

Sent from Above
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oooops, one last thing, check what your cost is going to be for the led lights and wiring too, may just be cheaper to buy a nice aftermarket 4x4 bumper with everything

Sent from Above

• Thanks 1

Well, I called just about every junk yard within a 100 mile radius and no one has what I'm looking for.. in undamaged condition anyway.

So it looks like I'm just going to bite the bullet and pick up a new OEM bumper from a Gm parts distributer I found for $600 shipped.

I have the bumper and fog light part numbers, but does anyone know the part number for the fog light wiring harness? I've found a bunch of aftermarket ones, but  I can't seem to find the OEM harness on any of the websites I've been scouring.. if I'm getting everything else OEM I might as well get the OEM harness too.

37 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Check this one out, comes complete with LED pods

https://www.roughcountry.com/chevy-front-led-bumper-10772.html

Sent from Above

I actually looked at that one before, as far as aftermarket bumpers go that’s pretty slick.

But I think I just want to stick to the OEM look with this truck. I just got off of the phone with the dealer and they said they’re not sure if they can add fogs to my truck, as it may require a “reprogramming” of the module and it may not work. Has anyone had any experience with this? I may make a thread in the mods section and see if anyone over there has ever added factory fogs to their truck.

I actually looked at that one before, as far as aftermarket bumpers go that’s pretty slick.

But I think I just want to stick to the OEM look with this truck. I just got off of the phone with the dealer and they said they’re not sure if they can add fogs to my truck, as it may require a “reprogramming” of the module and it may not work. Has anyone had any experience with this? I may make a thread in the mods section and see if anyone over there has ever added factory fogs to their truck.

All you need is an internal switch just like you’d have if you added any other lights onto your truck. My truck has factory led fog lights and requires me to press the factory knob in order to turn them on anyway, same thing

Sent from Above
  • Thanks 1