2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Stabilitrack Issue

Brett Collier

Question

I'm a disabled Veteran and love my Chevy Silverado 1500. Recently I've had my stabilitrack light come on with message service stabilitrack monitor system and it goes on and off. I've read in many forums about this being a common problem with buyers spending hundreds at dealerships and having control problems while driving. Being on a fixed income I can't  afford to go round and round looking for fix(s) at a dealership. I want to keep my truck but I'm also very concerned about the safety of it and spending too much for work that doesn't get to the root of the problem. What should I do? My mileage is about 55k and tire monitor light is also on but no tire inflation problems. Oh, and my horn quit working the other day, weird. I live in Big Bear Ca where we get a lot of snow so obviously traction is a major concern of mine

3 answers to this question

As much as you want to insist that there is nothing wrong with your tire pressures, have you checked to see what the pressures are showing up as in Drivers Information Centre?  If one of the sensors is reporting a tire being low, and you go check the pressure and it is not low, that does not really fix the problem.  Perhaps the sensor's battery is on its way out and is not reporting the correct pressure, and that tells the Stabilitrak that it cannot trust what it is seeing, so take a nap.  If your tire gauge is reading different to what is being reported, then that is your issue, likely time to replace the sensors.

• Like 1

That wouldn't shock me - a tire pressure sensor kicking off Stabilitrack. Seems any issue no matter how small will set that message off in the DIC.

Thanks for your service Brett, and wise choice to steer clear of any dealers. If you can't get this problem repaired yourself, finding a private, non-dealer, non-chain repair shop is your best bet - preferably one that has great reviews when it comes to electrical diagnosis. In the long run, it would be close to 80% cheaper than the multiple trips back to the dealer for the same problem, at super-inflated pricing.

• Like 1