Programming and Recalls

15 minutes ago, paracutin said:

As I understand it, Tech2win emulates the Tech2 scan tool on a Windows PC.  Correct?  

Remember that the Tech2 does not support the K2xx platform.  You'll need GDS-2 to support the K2 and T1 platforms.

The VXDIAG includes a GDS-2 clone (hacked copy) with it and that's what makes it so powerful.

So in summary, the VXDIAG is a hardware interface between PC and Vehicle.  It also comes with pirated GM software (Tech2win and GDS-2) that makes it very useful for diagnostics.  If you want to reflash a GM module, you'll use the VXDIAG hardware, but subscribe to GM Vehicle Programming Software for $40 for 2 years per VIN.

I do not have the VXDIAG tool, but I do know someone who purchased one and he used to work at a GM dealer.  He's only used Tech2win on the VXDIAG for older platforms, but his impression is that the interface is nearly identical to the GM Tech 2.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ksiesel said:

Remember that the Tech2 does not support the K2xx platform.  You'll need GDS-2 to support the K2 and T1 platforms.

The VXDIAG includes a GDS-2 clone (hacked copy) with it and that's what makes it so powerful.

So in summary, the VXDIAG is a hardware interface between PC and Vehicle.  It also comes with pirated GM software (Tech2win and GDS-2) that makes it very useful for diagnostics.  If you want to reflash a GM module, you'll use the VXDIAG hardware, but subscribe to GM Vehicle Programming Software for $40 for 2 years per VIN.

I do not have the VXDIAG tool, but I do know someone who purchased one and he used to work at a GM dealer.  He's only used Tech2win on the VXDIAG for older platforms, but his impression is that the interface is nearly identical to the GM Tech 2.

Awesome info and a great summary.  Thanks!

46 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

so what other data is it accessable on the truck, CAN, body puter, ABS, Emisions, tranny , ??? what can it do? 

My understanding is that VXDIAG (with it's GDS-2 and Tech2Win cloned software) is as close as you can get to the GM tooling and functionality without spending the big $$$ for the GM subscription.  It is reported to do everything the dealer can do with the exception of access online service manual information and reflash modules.

Remember, it's a Service Tool, not a custom tuner.  It'll be great for some trims and certainly for diagnostics.  It's not something you're going to use to change fueling tables, trans shift points, etc.  Those are not functions that GM supports through it's dealers unless it's a full module reflash and that firmware calibration has been released by GM.

Pricing for GM subscriptions here:  https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions

Edited by ksiesel

I guess I'm a little late to seeing all the replies on here, but I have the subscription and performed the service myself with the MDI. The only thing I can't quite get a straight answer from GM about is how to mark the recall as complete on the truck in case I sell it (unlikely) or wish to avoid any further notifications that there's an open recall for it. 

I am curious as well as to being reimbursed for the service. The lady I talked to at GM said the same thing, but how would you go about this? Seeing as how my dealer decided to tell me that my A/C condenser wouldn't be covered, then having to do it myself, plus the vacuum pump failing because of a design flaw (or whatever prompted the redesign), GM owes me money ? 

Edited by rallysport096