Programming and Recalls

I know the blow-back I'll probably get from this, seeing as how it's a free service, but having the MDI and software to reprogram the EBCM for the recent brake recall and a general hatred for the dealer, I decided just to do it myself. Everything went fine, I already have the new vacuum pump on it anyway after it failed 25K miles ago, but are there any techs or anyone here that knows about marking the recall as complete or is this something that HAS to be done by the dealer? I have the warranty claim code, which it says is required to confirm that the programming was completed, but this is the first car I've really ever bothered to work with programming and such. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

i'de like to see where you get the file from to reprogram it?  is it gm OEM file of custom tune?
Gm files directly from GM. And the device is is cheap in my option. People spend up to 100 for a code reader when this can do so much more. Then down load updates as needed.
It is great for tuners. As they can offer the option to customers and know the update will not hurt the custom tune or have the customer deal with the dealer.
Also gm still pays out for the service. So if you know someone it is money!d0451a18c03dc17126cd825f2ef8bedf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1SLOW1500,

Are you saying that if a private owner purchases the VXDIAG interface and the subscription to GM Vehicle Programming Software from the Delco TDS website, that GM will actually pay the private owner when they reflash their vehicle if it’s part of a recall?

46 minutes ago, ksiesel said:

1SLOW1500,

Are you saying that if a private owner purchases the VXDIAG interface and the subscription to GM Vehicle Programming Software from the Delco TDS website, that GM will actually pay the private owner when they reflash their vehicle if it’s part of a recall?

Some times but not all the time. I have received refunds for service work. but also you can have a buddy at dealer just take your vin and he and dealer ship get credit for work. I have done that also on seat and heated washer fluid on my old truck. And air bag on this truck. 

The funds are labor based not software based. Also different recalls are handled differently. 

10 minutes ago, paracutin said:

As I understand it, Tech2win emulates the Tech2 scan tool on a Windows PC.  Correct?   

That is correct! I used one to reset my ethanol percentage and do some diagnostics. It is a bugger to install in the PC, but, it is definitely a Tech2 clone. I have not signed up for GMs programming software yet.

7 minutes ago, Ianf said:

That is correct! I used one to reset my ethanol percentage and do some diagnostics. It is a bugger to install in the PC, but, it is definitely a Tech2 clone. I have not signed up for GMs programming software yet.

Does anyone have any experience with the knock-off Tech2 scan tools?  They are a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the software subscription from GM.