Brake caliper issue

LTeddy

So I went this morning to get my rims and tires put on from my previous truck to my new custom trail boss.. fuel maverick 18x9 +14 offset and they did not work spokes were bumping into the little hump on the caliper.. put a 1/4 spacer on no dice.. he ended up grinding that hump pretty far down.. my question is has anyone done this or heard of doing this? Any issues anyone sees of doing this? It’s already done just hoping I didn’t make a bad call 0b2ac034c5a1080ee05201e772748cd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, LTeddy said:

So I went this morning to get my rims and tires put on from my previous truck to my new custom trail boss.. fuel maverick 18x9 +14 offset and they did not work spokes were bumping into the little hump on the caliper.. put a 1/4 spacer on no dice.. he ended up grinding that hump pretty far down.. my question is has anyone done this or heard of doing this? Any issues anyone sees of doing this? It’s already done just hoping I didn’t make a bad call 0b2ac034c5a1080ee05201e772748cd2.jpg

Custom Offset's site shows what will fit these trucks.  Some guys are running way to much spacer to get the wheels that they like to fit.  Probably be a year or so for the nicer wheel companies to catch up.

Custom Offset's site shows what will fit these trucks.  Some guys are running way to much spacer to get the wheels that they like to fit.  Probably be a year or so for the nicer wheel companies to catch up.

Yea I saw that! My only issue is I had these rims for a few years and just bought new tires and didn’t want to drop a grand on rims lol

Wheel offset has changed for '19 due to larger 4 piston calipers. There's plenty of wheels out there that fit the '19 without using spacers or grinding the calipers. It's not only the offset but the angle of the spokes. The wheel you chose isn't for a '19. It may not affect anything grinding the caliper but personally, I wouldn't grind on my caliper or use spacers and would find the correct wheel for the '19. Plenty members here have the correct wheels although I'm sure some have found themselves grinding the calipers. Using a 1/4" spacer makes the wheel lug centric and won't be hub centric anymore and GM trucks don't like being lug centric.

Call me old fashioned, but grinding brake calipers seems like a really stupid idea. I’m not a GM engineer but I have to assume they put that hump there for a reason (other than messing up people’s custom wheel fit)...

• Like 3

Yea I guess a little too late to ask now lol, we tried figuring out why it’s there and no one could figure it out! As for the centric issue this spacer was paper thin and they still put the hub rings in there as well! So essentially they’re still hub centric...

1 hour ago, LTeddy said:

You can see the spacer in the picture

Yes I see the spacer. Here's the thing; the hub is around 8mm thick and the thickest spacer that can be used is 3mm (1/8") to keep it hub centric. Many wheels that are really close to the caliper only require a 3mm spacer. There's only one place I know of that makes a 3mm aluminum 6x139.7 - 78.1 bore spacer.  So then, with the 8mm hub thickness and using a 1/4" or 6mm spacer that you have, that only leaves you 2mm of hub left and with the hub end taper and wheel bore taper, there's just not enough meat on the bone to grab the hub and keep the wheel hub centric.

Yes I see the spacer. Here's the thing; the hub is around 8mm thick and the thickest spacer that can be used is 3mm (1/8") to keep it hub centric. Many wheels that are really close to the caliper only require a 3mm spacer. There's only one place I know of that makes a 3mm aluminum 6x139.7 - 78.1 bore spacer.  So then, with the 8mm hub thickness and using a 1/4" or 6mm spacer that you have, that only leaves you 2mm of hub left and with the hub end taper and wheel bore taper, there's just not enough meat on the bone to grab the hub and keep the wheel hub centric.

Ahh ok! I’m not much of a math wizard mechanic etc so I’ll take your word for it (please don’t take that rudely I’m being nice and honest) I had the same exact setup on my 17 and it seemed to not have any issues just added the spacer this time! Hopefully I didn’t make a mistake if I did I guess I’ll pay for it lol! I wanted the 18s with my trail boss but my dealer had 1 custom crew cab that was in my payment range so I went for it and of course it had the ugly 20s so I put on my fuel rims and of course something didn’t go right!

14 minutes ago, LTeddy said:

Ahh ok! I’m not much of a math wizard mechanic etc so I’ll take your word for it (please don’t take that rudely I’m being nice and honest) I had the same exact setup on my 17 and it seemed to not have any issues just added the spacer this time! Hopefully I didn’t make a mistake if I did I guess I’ll pay for it lol! I wanted the 18s with my trail boss but my dealer had 1 custom crew cab that was in my payment range so I went for it and of course it had the ugly 20s so I put on my fuel rims and of course something didn’t go right!

No problem it's all good. If you were running the spacer on your '17 it was lug centric which means the wheel is relying on the lugs to center the wheel instead of the hub. Sometimes it doesn't give problems but sometimes it does. You're more opt to have a vibration being lug centric than hub centric. Like said, GM trucks like being hub centric ?.

No problem it's all good. If you were running the spacer on your '17 it was lug centric which means the wheel is relying on the lugs to center the wheel instead of the hub. Sometimes it doesn't give problems but sometimes it does. You're more opt to have a vibration being lug centric than hub centric. Like said, GM trucks like being hub centric [emoji12].

lol I get ya buddy I took it at first as It’ll be bad truck and cause mechanical issues and cost me money lol

You may not get a vibration it's pot luck.  I just don't like the idea of grinding the caliper and hope it doesn't affect the structural integrity of it. Idk... How does it look? Was it smoothed out and painted? Can you see it through the wheels?

You may not get a vibration it's pot luck.  I just don't like the idea of grinding the caliper and hope it doesn't affect the structural integrity of it. Idk... How does it look? Was it smoothed out and painted? Can you see it through the wheels?

It was smoothed our did not paint it yet as I was up for 20 hours and ready for bed lol it’s not rough it looks decent he maybe took off 1/8 to 1/4 of the rib

374f65fba0479ee4a79aee3aba785893.jpg