Brake caliper issue

LTeddy

Stick some paint on the ground down areas before they corrode and hope for the best. Still not a fan at all of the idea, but it doesn’t look like they took a whole lot off at least.

Will do! I found a pic online how much it was stuck out before they did it 4bb8de63cba7af4144b3827ce8b048e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call me old fashioned, but grinding brake calipers seems like a really stupid idea. I’m not a GM engineer but I have to assume they put that hump there for a reason (other than messing up people’s custom wheel fit)...
I'm with ya buddy.

BTW I ordered the draggy. Will find out how much of a difference those 3.42's make. I'll let you know once I make a couple runs...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yea I guess a little too late to ask now lol, we tried figuring out why it’s there and no one could figure it out! As for the centric issue this spacer was paper thin and they still put the hub rings in there as well! So essentially they’re still hub centric...

I'm 100% positive that's a channel for brake fluid to travel since it's a 4 piston caliper. Most likely it's extra meat to help it hold up to high pressure that builds up in the caliper when you hit the brakes...

I'm 100% positive that's a channel for brake fluid to travel since it's a 4 piston caliper. Most likely it's extra meat to help it hold up to high pressure that builds up in the caliper when you hit the brakes...

Hopefully it still holds up! They didn’t take a ton off there’s still a hump/channel

• Like 1

.02  It's not a matter of how much they ground off; it's a matter of how much meat is left between the ground edge and the internal brake fluid channel. And what changes in clearance remain when those calipers heat up and expand on a hot Summer day in traffic.

I have enough clearance to stick the tip of my index finger between the inner edge of my 22" wheel and the surface of the bulge in the front caliper, which is more thickness than grinding off the whole bulge. I'd sooner take my chances grinding off a notch on all spokes of the wheel and rebalancing before removing metal from a component in a high pressure hydraulic system. Gotta figure GM didn't waste too much extra metal iwhen casting a bulge that size in the first place.

Doesn't look like he took off too much. You should be good. I'd sand it smooth and paint it with silver/aluminum caliper paint. I don't like the 1/4" spacer though but if you're ok with it and you don't get any vibration then that's all that matters.

Doesn't look like he took off too much. You should be good. I'd sand it smooth and paint it with silver/aluminum caliper paint. I don't like the 1/4" spacer though but if you're ok with it and you don't get any vibration then that's all that matters.

In person it looks a little thinner now that I look at pictures maybe I’m just paranoid now but I’ll be the guinea pig and report if anything happens yup plan on painting them next week!

5 hours ago, LTeddy said:

Not too sound stupid but what issues can occur or harm will my choice do?

Well, if there really is a fluid passage in that part of the caliper, and it should happen to fail so your brake system fails and you get into an accident, your insurance company will make you and/or the shop that ground it down liable for paying for the accident...  Course, the same thing happens if you were to grind the back of the wheels to clear the caliper as well (and the wheel should fail)...

I'm glad I'm not the only one here that thinks this is a bad idea. It comes up at least once a week in the Facebook group and I get made fun of because I think it's stupid. Makes me feel a little better lol Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hey man, I haven’t and will not make fun of you I definitely am second guessing myself at this point and just wanted opinions I’m very open to them all and I totally hear your valid points and respect what you say! I did happen to talk to my buddy that’s a service advisor at the dealership that also builds track cars and get his hands dirty and knows his stuff and he said he’s not 100% sure it won’t effect anything but Gm built this pretty good and they used pretty strong material he’s pretty sure it will hold up

Hey man, I haven’t and will not make fun of you I definitely am second guessing myself at this point and just wanted opinions I’m very open to them all and I totally hear your valid points and respect what you say! I did happen to talk to my buddy that’s a service advisor at the dealership that also builds track cars and get his hands dirty and knows his stuff and he said he’s not 100% sure it won’t effect anything but Gm built this pretty good and they used pretty strong material he’s pretty sure it will hold up

Not saying you did. Was just saying there's a post similar to this in the Facebook groups once a week at least and there's a group of guys that like to bash me because I say it's a stupid idea.

That being said you took off a lot less then most people I've seen. Most of the ones I've seen they grind the whole bump flat. I think you'll be ok it doesn't look like they took to much off. Just paint them so they don't rust. Maybe even ceramic coat them while you're at it...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk