Hello I just got a 2019 Silverado 5.3 with 8 speed transmission 2 wheel drive LT trim and I have notice that the truck doesn't downshift to first gear when coming to a stop sign or speed bumps It looks to me that is having a delay time doing it, Has any of you guys have notice this on your 8 speed transmission?

I took it to the dealer and they told me it was normal, but I;m not sure they are correct

when the truck is unloaded it's not very noticeable but when It pulls a trailer it feels with luck of power when coming to stop signs or speed bumps, if I move shiftier to manual and downshift manually feels strong.

Edited by Liborio Leon

Batman, thanks to summing up what I seem to notice in our new 8spd......coming from a 4 spd 2010, I had no idea what to expect........I find that if I  drive er' like I own er', then it shifts way better !!!!...thanks again....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hobey said:

Batman, thanks to summing up what I seem to notice in our new 8spd......coming from a 4 spd 2010, I had no idea what to expect........I find that if I  drive er' like I own er', then it shifts way better !!!!...thanks again....

Thanks I'll try that since the braking period (over 500 Miles driven nicely ) it's over 

27 minutes ago, Hobey said:

Same here. My 2007 4spd had conditioned me for 12 years. I babied my RST when I got it. But then I started to drive it more “normally” and the shifts got a lot smoother. 

Already, we may be seeing more users drive er' like you own er' an getting better shifts and driveability ( if that is even a word to use here....lol....).

Even though I don't tinker too much anymore, glad to see if this thread builds on drive 'er like you own 'er.....?

It’s a big transmission with big parts and a DEEP first gear. They clunk and bump a bit. 

If you’re old enough it reminds me of driving an old half ton with a granny low 1st manual trans. 1st wasn’t always necessary. 2nd could get you moving and downshifting to 1st unless you were going 5mph was a bad idea. 

Edited by AJMBLAZER

We are sort of benefiting from GM stringing the TH700R4/4L60E family of 4 speed OD autos along for most of 3 decades. They learned that it wasn’t strong enough for heavy duty use and increasing power levels by the early 90’s but kept half ass upgrading it into the 4L65E/4L70E etc. Engines got more powerful and people expected more towing capability out of a half ton. 
Finally GM quietly admitted defeat and introduced the 6L80E 6 speed in the late 2000’s. Ten years before GM would have considered a transmission of it’s capabilities to be a 3/4 ton or 1 ton transmission.

Now we have the 8L90E with two OD gears, a deep 1st, and intended to tow up to 1x,xxx-lbs on a Max Tow equipped truck behind a 355-hp engine.

GM learned it needed to beef up it’s transmissions. Parts got bigger. Shifts are more pronounced. This is a good thing. 

• Like 1

My RST has 6300 miles on it now, and I have to say the 8 speed transmission is excellent. 

I had the clunky shifts and just a few of the harsh jerks from R to D in the first 4000 miles. Ever since, it’s been great. 

The shift points make the 5.3L feel like a performance engine, and the MPG is outstanding. 

I really like the strong first gear, too. It feels solid. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 11:45 PM, econometrics said:

My RST has 6300 miles on it now, and I have to say the 8 speed transmission is excellent. 

I had the clunky shifts and just a few of the harsh jerks from R to D in the first 4000 miles. Ever since, it’s been great. 

The shift points make the 5.3L feel like a performance engine, and the MPG is outstanding. 

I really like the strong first gear, too. It feels solid. 

+1