Connect radio/MyLink to wifi

sounds like you need to set up a dataplan and have it activated. MyLink has a basic data plan for about $15 / month. If memory serves that's about 3GB / Month allowance.

Unlimited is ~$25.00/month.. But call for current pricing.

If you use the WiFi service, I suggest the unlimited.  I am on call every other week, and frequently in places where cell phone reception is inadequate to support using it as a hotspot.

But I like the flexibility of tossing the laptop in the truck and going on with my life.  Cellphone hot spot was a problem in remote sites.  Once I hooked up the WiFi service that problem was solved.

Almost... While en route to a site, I discovered that my 3GB allowance wasn't quite enough. So with a week left before the monthly quota refreshed, I found myself mid-way, without service.

Took about 10 - 15 minutes to upgrade to Unlimited, and haven't had a problem since.  (BUT, of course, the change wasn't pro-rated, nor the remaining week refunded...) go figure.

HTH.

Mike

I am wondering the same thing about that feature as the OP. Reading other posts, it seems like there is a menu that allows you to connect the truck to a WiFi network. For example, to the house WiFi from the driveway to download updates.

My 2016 LT with aa/CarPlay doesn’t have the menu option either.

Software 84131949

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mkelly61 said:

sounds like you need to set up a dataplan and have it activated. MyLink has a basic data plan for about $15 / month. If memory serves that's about 3GB / Month allowance.

If you use the WiFi service, I suggest the unlimited.  I am on call every other week, and frequently in places where cell phone reception is inadequate to support using it as a hotspot.

But I like the flexibility of tossing the laptop in the truck and going on with my life.  Cellphone hot spot was a problem in remote sites.  Once I hooked up the WiFi service that problem was solved.

Almost... While en route to a site, I discovered that my 3GB allowance wasn't quite enough. So with a week left before the monthly quota refreshed, I found myself mid-way, without service.

Took about 10 - 15 minutes to upgrade to Unlimited, and haven't had a problem since.  (BUT, of course, the change wasn't pro-rated, nor the remaining week refunded...) go figure.

HTH.

Mike

I know I could do the On Star data plan or a plan thru a carrier (I had a trial when I bought the truck).

But it seems others can link their radios to home networks or hot spots. I cannot

You cant update the 16 to get the WiFi capabilities the 17 vehicles got, the hardware and software was changed along with some CANBUS changes from what I read in the past.

On 10/29/2019 at 7:22 PM, TJay74 said:

You cant update the 16 to get the WiFi capabilities the 17 vehicles got, the hardware and software was changed along with some CANBUS changes from what I read in the past.

Good to know. Thanks

On 10/28/2019 at 1:57 PM, mkelly61 said:

HTH.

Mike

I just turned unlimited wi-fi on in my truck earlier this summer, $20 a month.  We travel a lot and the 5 year old watches cartoons on her ipad in the back connected to the WiFi and I stream Apple Music through CarPlay99.9% of the time we're driving.  Best $20 a month we've spent in a long time.

• Like 1