P0131 among other things...

Hey all, my wife's 2001 Yukon XL, 5.3,  has been acting up quite a bit lately and I keep some input from some more experienced folks. Ive only had it for a few months, got it for a good price for what it is. Needed some cosmetic work but drivetrain was solid until lately.

It's been throwing a p0131 O2 sensor input low as well as  a p0332 knock sensor. We went for a trip this weekend and took my truck, when we got back my wife tried to start the Yukon and it would try to catch but was acting like it was flooding out. Stumbling and just barely keep enough rpm to stay running.

It has very little power going down the road at cruise, it will pick up speed once the rpms get up to 4500 but anything lower and you aren't accelerating at all. I've checked the wiring to the o2 sensors and they all appear to be fine. Is the next step replacing them or am I missing something else. Oh and it's also thrown a random misfire code during hard acceleration.

Thanks for any and all help! 

Red

Replacing the o2 sensor(s) is a good idea if the wiring checks out at the connector.

The knock sensor code is going to make it feel worse than it can be. Anytime a knock sensor code is present it will retard the timing up to the maximum allowed in the calibration under just about any load. Normally that's around 8-10 degrees of retard while already running the low octane timing map in the computer because of the knock retard that the computer thinks is happening.

Replacing the sensors and harness is a good idea.

The misfire code could be somewhat related to the o2 sensor issue but I'd need a first hand look at the truck using my scan tool to watch various parameters to see what is doing what.

If you don't know the history on the vehicle for maintenance, it could be a good idea to do a quick tune up. Like new spark plugs/wires, run some injector cleaner through the fuel tank. Clean the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. Check for vacuum leaks and broken exhaust manifold bolts.

If you are handy with a wrench, most of this stuff is rather easy to do.

Thanks for the reply. Maintenance history is non existent unfortunately. I know it came from new mexico and appeared to have been taken care of to a degree. I'm a heavy diesel mechanic for work so I'm more tuned to working on compression ignition engines lol but I have already done the basic tune up when I bought it. Plugs and wires.

This is also my first GM vehicle, I'm normally a Ford guy. I was really looking for any gm specific bug and common causes just like my more familiar Ford's have. I'll go ahead with new o2 sensors and get the knock sensors replaced as well. Anything else I should look at doing while I'm in that deep? The mechanic in me hates having to go into something that far just to do it again later for something cheap and simple.

It does have a few broken exhaust manifold bolts as well. Also 210,000 miles.

If you did the knock sensors, you'll want new intake gaskets. I only suggest new AC delco knock sensors, nothing aftermarket. Then just make sure all that stuff is torqued to spec, I believe it's 15 ft lbs for those sensors.

Not much else you can do while you're in there because there just isn't much do to. The intake manifold bolts directly to the cylinder heads and no coolant or anything runs through the intake, so no extra gaskets or mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Knock sensors replaced, what a difference! Power is better than ever and runs great again. Still throwing codes for the upstream o2 sensors but I'll be swapping them out tomorrow. I'm not sure the knock sensors have ever been replaced considering the condition they were in. IMG_20191106_101551.thumb.jpg.32238594d3c39a98594a7703f81af17b.jpg

• Like 1

So I haven't gotten to the o2 sensors yet, apparently Rock Auto has a miss type on their description for their denso sensors which led me to get the downstream ones, not upstream.

No big deal for now.

Pulled codes again and not liking what I saw. There was a lean code on bank 1 (probably from my screwing around with the o2's earlier) and the o2 sensor low voltage code again, but the concerning code was knock sensor 2 low voltage. I cleared them out and will see how she fairs this week. Proper o2's are on order now as well 

• Like 1

Okay, this Yukon is on my last nerve right now. Got the new o2 sensors in last night and had my wife drive it to work today. She said it had zero power getting on the highway and she could barely get up to speed to merge. Pulled codes tonight and the list includes: 

P0332

P0174

P0171

P0151

P0131

Basically o2 low voltage, knock sensor, lean bank 1 and 2. I'm at my wit's end with this piece of lovely engineering. Luckily we have enough back up vehicles that this thing is getting parked for the foreseeable future. Anyone want a parts vehicle?

13 hours ago, YukonXLGuy said:

Okay, this Yukon is on my last nerve right now. Got the new o2 sensors in last night and had my wife drive it to work today. She said it had zero power getting on the highway and she could barely get up to speed to merge. Pulled codes tonight and the list includes: 

P0332

P0174

P0171

P0151

P0131

Basically o2 low voltage, knock sensor, lean bank 1 and 2. I'm at my wit's end with this piece of lovely engineering. Luckily we have enough back up vehicles that this thing is getting parked for the foreseeable future. Anyone want a parts vehicle?

Are ALL of the replacement parts GM OE or ACDelco Professional?  Are you troubleshooting via the Shop Manual?  AllDataDIY subscription give you access to this for a fair price.  You'll need an ohm meter too.

Is it possible that any silicone or coolant or oil is gettting into the exhaust?  Did you use silicone on any intake gaskets between the air filter and intake manifold?  These can contaminate an O2 sensor.

I suspect the ECM but you have to rule out all the other stuff first.  These engines don't take kindly to aftermarket parts for some reason.

Every part so far has been acdelco, no silicone was used in the intake gaskets. I'm using my Bosch handheld code reader to pull codes.

I'll be digging into it further later this week. Something isn't right, I went out this morning to move it and it bogs down and stalls as soon as you push on the go pedal. I just need to retrace my steps, with my luck I probably left a vac line off somewhere. Coolant level hasn't dropped since I bought it, I did have a concern about it using oil recently ( 2 months ago) after It was 2 quarts low for no good reason.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, YukonXLGuy said:

...did have a concern about it using oil recently ( 2 months ago) after It was 2 quarts low for no good reason.

Had a GM V6 like that, once every couple of years it would suddenly consume all of the oil.  Chalked it up to all of the piston rings lining up, motor always ran great.