Just bought an 07, 5.3

I've learned 07's can have an oil consumption issue and depending who you talk to it can be cured by changing the drivers side valve cover or disabling the AFM using a "Range" or a programmer..?
Looking for the part number of the valve cover, best place to get them and ideas on the Range or what programmer I should be thinking about.
Thx

I have an 08 that had the same issues, Never installed the updated valve cover or the oil deflector in the oil pan, All I did was install a tune and turned off the AFM. You could still install the valve cover for peace of mind but GM never really knew what was causing the issue, they just tossed parts at it as they still do!

I used a Super Chips Programmer, but you can get a black bear mail in tune cheap as well or you can get a range disabler on Amazon or Ebay for cheap and be happy as well, but main point is turn off AFM and change the oil.

• Like 1

assuming you have a 2007.5 gmt900  not a 07 classic 800

i have changed the valve cover and it reduced what the catch can was capturing by half 

installed the range @60,000 (lost 1 mpg) 

now 132,000 and running fine

do a google search for the valve cover , plenty should show up

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2019 at 11:57 AM, Fisherguy58 said:

I've learned 07's can have an oil consumption issue and depending who you talk to it can be cured by changing the drivers side valve cover or disabling the AFM using a "Range" or a programmer..?
Looking for the part number of the valve cover, best place to get them and ideas on the Range or what programmer I should be thinking about.
Thx

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Plug your VIN into that link for the right updated valve cover.  If you have the oil pan down you can install a diffuser that lessons oil consumption too.  Don't forget to clean or replace the VLOM filter that goes under the oil pressure sensor.  Best prices are often from Amazon via Prime, Ebay and RockAuto.  GM updated the VLOM and lifters making the system much more reliable. 

The Range device should be considered a temporary measure, they sometimes break or cause computer gremlins.  A "tune" is the best way to go or at the very least, visit a tuner that can turn it off for $150 or so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Plug your VIN into that link for the right updated valve cover.  If you have the oil pan down you can install a diffuser that lessons oil consumption too.  Don't forget to clean or replace the VLOM filter that goes under the oil pressure sensor.  Best prices are often from Amazon via Prime, Ebay and RockAuto.  GM updated the VLOM and lifters making the system much more reliable. 

The Range device should be considered a temporary measure, they sometimes break or cause computer gremlins.  A "tune" is the best way to go or at the very least, visit a tuner that can turn it off for $150 or so. 

Tried that link, couldn't find the valve cover, woulda thought it would be under "engine parts" but would be pretty hard to list every part making up an entire engine.

Can you remove the oil pan with the motor in the truck?

Have been clicking around, it's my understanding a person only needs to clean that VLOM filter if their oil pressure gauge is showing low pressure?  Mine seems to be working fine and so far it doesn't seem to be using oil, it has about  94k miles on it.

2 hours ago, Fisherguy58 said:

Tried that link, couldn't find the valve cover, woulda thought it would be under "engine parts" but would be pretty hard to list every part making up an entire engine.

Can you remove the oil pan with the motor in the truck?

Have been clicking around, it's my understanding a person only needs to clean that VLOM filter if their oil pressure gauge is showing low pressure?  Mine seems to be working fine and so far it doesn't seem to be using oil, it has about  94k miles on it.

Yes, you can remove the pan but it's a pain as you have to remove the front differential and cross member usually.  You're right about the VLOM filter, it can be cleaned and reused.  The rocker cover seems to be 12570427 as GM used different diameter PCV fittings between the earlier and later designs on the 5.3s.

Mine only used oil when I would regularly spin the motor up past 3500 rpms.  Since I am an old man and drive like one, it gets close to that in first gear only, usually.  Using oil with higher viscosity numbers (not weight) seems to help with oil consumption issues too.  

• Like 1