Gear Indicator

I use manual mode when towing our camper as well (especially in the Colorado mountains)......but I've yet to find a use for the "1" mode, which holds the transmission in first gear. How about you?
Grade braking control.

If you're going down a steep hill while towing, put it into that "1" position.

The truck will work it's hardest to hold whatever speed you were at when you selected that position. Expect for some high engine revs[emoji6]

But it truly works brilliantly

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

On 3/24/2020 at 7:59 PM, rocnrol said:

Grade braking control.

If you're going down a steep hill while towing, put it into that "1" position.

The truck will work it's hardest to hold whatever speed you were at when you selected that position. Expect for some high engine revsemoji6.png

But it truly works brilliantly

I've used manual mode for grade braking quite a bit. Been down plenty of high altitude passes at 5k RPM, with my camper trying to shove me off the mountain, haha. It works great, but I've seldom had to keep it in M1 because first gear is so low. I still don't understand the purpose of forcing it to hold 1st gear only. Why not just use M1, and tap the shifter button when needed? 

I've used manual mode for grade braking quite a bit. Been down plenty of high altitude passes at 5k RPM, with my camper trying to shove me off the mountain, haha. It works great, but I've seldom had to keep it in M1 because first gear is so low. I still don't understand the purpose of forcing it to hold 1st gear only. Why not just use M1, and tap the shifter button when needed? 
That's just it, it doesn't go to first gear, the truck will do what it needs to to hold the speed you're at once you put it into that "1" position. It'll drop gears as it feels necessary from the current gear you were in, to hold your speed

On 4/1/2020 at 9:39 PM, rocnrol said:

That's just it, it doesn't go to first gear, the truck will do what it needs to to hold the speed you're at once you put it into that "1" position. It'll drop gears as it feels necessary from the current gear you were in, to hold your speed

Hmmmm.....that's interesting. I didn't know it behaved like that. I figured it would just slam into first gear and stay there until you shifted it yourself. I guess I need to play around with it more. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmmm.....that's interesting. I didn't know it behaved like that. I figured it would just slam into first gear and stay there until you shifted it yourself. I guess I need to play around with it more. 
Yeah [emoji16]

Now, if you put it there from a stop, ya... it won't want to shift up [emoji6]

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hey MAKKAT did you ever figure out the second 1, if not, It is your current gear as your driving while in Manual mode. If you select gear M4 while going 0 miles the transmission is in 1st gear and will show 1, as you drive to 40 mph for example and the trans shifts through the gears to 4th it shows what gear your currently where that 1 your asking about is........