Skeptical about exhaust shop

So I have two Borla crate mufflers I am going to put on my 2005 Silverado. I am doing a true dual 2.5” setup with an H pipe. When I go to the shop to get a quote he tells me that the h pipe wouldn’t do anything for me since the pipes are too close to get an x pipe. I’ve heard about shops saying this before and the people not happy with the sound after. I mean won’t it work the same and still equalize the pressure? I really dislike the raspiness of an x pipe and fell in love with the idea of an h pipe. Is what he is saying true or is he just trying to sway me for his own reasons? Because I believe they are mainly a magnaflow shop and use the magnaflow x pipe and if I am not mistaken they don’t make a h pipe. But I could be wrong, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks

It is your exhaust! They do as requested or you go to another shop.

I have had the same experience and prefer a H pipe. On a Silverado the short exhaust issue is not an issue. I had an H pipe on my Porsche 928, way shorter than a Silverado, it worked great. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikebtte said:

It is your exhaust! They do as requested or you go to another shop.

I have had the same experience and prefer a H pipe. On a Silverado the short exhaust issue is not an issue. I had an H pipe on my Porsche 928, way shorter than a Silverado, it worked great. 

Thanks Mike, that’s exactly what I thought. He probably thought I was another gullible customer that he could lie to to either save a penny or keep him from have to fabricate an h pipe for it. Definitely gonna find another shop

All them nice parts and I bet you would not get manderal bent pipes. They would use the in house bender to make pipes. Not that the pipe used would not work, but if you are paying for top notch then you should get top notch.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mikebtte said:

All them nice parts and I bet you would not get manderal bent pipes. They would use the in house bender to make pipes. Not that the pipe used would not work, but if you are paying for top notch then you should get top notch.

Exactly, now I’ve got to try and find a quality exhaust shop here in east TN. Hard to find since they are a dime a dozen around here and I’d say most all of them are shotty, I don’t want cheap labor on my expensive parts

Look for a one man independently owned muffler shop with a performance car parked in the owners spot. Last time I did the exhaust system on my 71 Chevelle SS the muffler shop owner was driving a sweet 71 or 72 Torino which he obviously took pride in, it carried over into his work. He installed a modified H pipe, more of a U pipe with the bottom of the U facing forward, I can only surmise he did this to make the crossover longer, but the end result was absolutely no pulsations between the cylinder banks and that along with the Walker turbo mufflers made for a sweet sounding exhaust, more so outside than in with the windows up.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, garagerog said:

Look for a one man independently owned muffler shop with a performance car parked in the owners spot. Last time I did the exhaust system on my 71 Chevelle SS the muffler shop owner was driving a sweet 71 or 72 Torino which he obviously took pride in, it carried over into his work. He installed a modified H pipe, more of a U pipe with the bottom of the U facing forward, I can only surmise he did this to make the crossover longer, but the end result was absolutely no pulsations between the cylinder banks and that along with the Walker turbo mufflers made for a sweet sounding exhaust, more so outside than in with the windows up.

I will be on the lookout, I’m gonna ask around and maybe take a drive to a few places

I will be on the lookout, I’m gonna ask around and maybe take a drive to a few places
I noticed you said east Tennessee, I live in Knoxville. I have had exhaust done twice on my old F150 by Mighty Muffler on Western Ave. Not sure who you have a quote from. I was very happy with the work they did..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 12/8/2019 at 10:45 PM, Badbird2000 said:

I noticed you said east Tennessee, I live in Knoxville. I have had exhaust done twice on my old F150 by Mighty Muffler on Western Ave. Not sure who you have a quote from. I was very happy with the work they did..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mighty muffler is actually the shop I talked about in the post, I’m sure they do fine work. They just lied to me which I do not appreciate very much