2017 Silverado 1500 clunk/thump noise front end

It had 22,000 when i bought it; it now has 26,000. Dealership has had it 3 times, and the certified mechanics have two times in a row said: “we can’t find anything wrong so we lubed the hell out of everything.” It has junk Rancho shocks that are very bouncy and don’t hold a candle to Bilstein 5100. I will upgrade but i want this issue resolved first.

It does it on bumps; it does it on hardly no bump at all, it does it driving straight but sometimes becomes worse after making a turn. Does it the worst on rolling terrain or slight washboard roads. It sounds like something is loose or possibly interference somewhere. My patience is running out with the dealership next time will be forth time.

What’s hurting me; is that when they test drive it; they don’t hear anything. Or can “hardly hear it.” But when i drive it; it sounds like it’s about to fall apart.

They claim that sway bar links and all bushings are tight and the shock is not leaking. Actually, the certified mechanic said “everything is tight;” I’m assuming they have an extensive troubleshooting procedure or at least i hope.

I appreciate any tips; i was hoping someone else has had this issue and successfully solved it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mechanic told me a dry seal on the suspension can cause a popping sound. It’s kind of strange, it popped a few times after he lubed the seal but the loud pop has now become subtle. I’m thinking if i have Bilstein 5100’s installed, i may get lucky and the noise will die along with the stock Rancho. I put the Bilsteins on my 2012 and they are superior and have strong return and quick settling with no bounciness.

• 1 month later...

I'm also getting a pop noise in my 18 z71 Lt.  Dealer said it's too hard to nail down cause it's too intermittent (drove with sErvice manager to show him) he also tried blaming it on cold weather.  

Course now it seems more frequent.  I'll be going back again

My pop was intermittent also and it ended up being the rancho front left strut was bad. It blew its seal and thus developed internal problems. Would have been covered under warranty but i wanted Bilsteins anyway. Best $450 i could have spent on my Truck.
f7ee8adb33c64cc30fe8ef6a3e0671a3.jpg6ca823c7b7332bbef0965c919883e1f1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 12:34 PM, Rouzer said:

There ain’t too many things better in life than a Chevy Silverado with Bilstein 5100’s and Good mud tires.

bd136c40ea0ad55ea537ca34574eb1a6.jpg
e1654bad44d8d97fdd7d629ab37454c0.jpg

Nice Truck.  What is the height setting that you go with.  My dealer  is doing the installation for Bilstein 5100's this Wednesday but I am undecided if I go with stock height setting or second or 3rd height setting.  I have stock tires and wheels. 

For the rear you have the shocks with the boot down?

Thanks

• Like 1

Highest setting; I need the highest setting because I like to run The biggest tires I can fit. Another factor is what do you prefer? I love the appearance of a level truck myself. The highest setting I am still 3/4” lower in the front. But that is a very small amount and it appears level to the naked eye. With factory tires and suspension it was 2.75 inches lower in the front. I bought the suspension as a set of 4, the rear are just stock replacements. now that you mention it I do believe the boot is on the lower portion they are very nice shocks and they are zinc coated.

What is awesome about these shocks is that you can achieve a leveled front end without the use of spacers so you sacrifice no ride quality and in fact you will have much better ride than factory. My father did a review of the truck before and after on YouTube his name is PM TIPS.

From now on when I buy a Chevy Silverado the absolute first modification is to install Bilstein 5100. I actually had a busted rancho shock with only 26,000 miles and the dealership told me they would not replace it because they could not prove it was leaking and when we pulled the Rancho off it had zero return force and you could depress it by hand. I find it hard to believe they could not prove it had no charge but lucky for them I did not get too unhappy about it because I already knew I wanted to upgrade but I was going to try to wait until later; However, because of how the dealership treated me it accelerated my upgrade. It was making a horrible noise but Certified mechanic dropped the ball on this one. Oh well, it’s just money. I guarantee you nine out of 10 people would’ve been very pissed off.

But I knew the stock suspension was junk even when it’s brand new. Suspension is one of the worst cost reduction measures; what’s even worse is.. they claim that’s an off-road suspension. As the years pass by cost reduction measures get worse and the prices only get higher.

Thank you very much for your feedback and explanation.  I am worried about leveling the truck I will have problems in the future with the ball joints and some suspension components.  Maybe I will go with the second setting.

Do yo have to adjust the headlights to compensate the difference on the height?

Thanks

Thank you very much for your feedback and explanation.  I am worried about leveling the truck I will have problems in the future with the ball joints and some suspension components.  Maybe I will go with the second setting.

Do yo have to adjust the headlights to compensate the difference on the height?

Thanks

Yes Sir Headlight adjustment is needed.

Second setting is a good compromise.